Monday 19 July 2021

Freedom Day?

After a hot, uncomfortable night, it was Monday again! Sophie was working from home for four days and, of course, unable to go to the gym, but I was still awake at 5.45am!

Although the school holidays don't start here until Wednesday, I knew we'd be busy at work booking crash courses and other activities. I can't remember what it was like last year when we'd just emerged from the first lockdown? I don't think we were offering swimming sessions!

To be honest, work wasn't too bad, but I did have to insist I came off the phones to sort out the box office returns. The phones didn't stop - we had over 300 calls by 4pm - and we had about 60 abandoned calls, but most queries were about swimming, as predicted! It's going to be hot all week so people want to cool off!

I called into the petrol station on the way home to fill up Sophie's car and opted to wear a mask in the shop, even though now we no longer have to (in most cases). Some people were wearing them, others not, but it's done me well so far, so why change?

At home, I had a cool shower and we watched Boris's announcement at 5pm. He is self-isolating as well, so Sophie's in good company! Most of the restrictions have been lifted but I think people are still very wary as the infections continue to rise - about 40,000 a day.

It was too hot to play cards in the conservatory so we sat in the cooler living room with the fan and tried to persuade Monty to sit in front of it. He hates the heat and he looks so uncomfortable poor thing!

No comments: