Saturday 31 July 2021

Sophie is jabbed again!

Day 4 of kitchen renovation.

Our electrical woes continued this morning when I realised that both the television and Skybox in the bedroom weren't working, and the lamp and telephone on the landing were also off. We felt we had to contact Anthony and ask him to get the electrician back first thing on Monday morning but to our delight, he said he'd come out today and fix the problems.

Keith went to Tesco early and bought food for dinner tonight and tomorrow - if the weather is OK, the plan is to barbecue. Sophie and I enjoyed pastries and coffee for breakfast before driving over to Weedon for her second Covid jab. She is now fully vaccinated, and she's very pleased!

From the surgery, we went to an antique centre nearby and spent a very pleasant hour wandering around looking at an enormous range of vintage items. Some of the antiques available were tat, but I'm sure there were treasures to be found if you knew what you were looking for! Sophie bought some beautiful earrings and a matching bracelet, and she spotted lots of gorgeous glasses, but they were all quite small and she wanted some bigger ones for serving wine.

There was a book shop and small cafe upstairs but we decided to head for The Heart of the Shires shopping village and have a coffee there instead. Darlington's is one of our favourite places to go and today we shared a magnificent Club Sandwich served with salad and potato crisps. Outside, the weather was dreary, grey and dismal so I hoped it was going to cheer up for the evening's barbecue!

After eating we mooched about the small vintage/gift shop but didn't spot anything we liked. I didn't dare go into the Abraxas Cookshop, as I had a feeling I would spot a lot of things I wanted for the new kitchen!

We went home via Pitsford and treated ourselves to an ice cream each from the van in the car park. It was just what we fancied after lunch, and we sat and ate them in the car, watching a constant stream of people either cycling or walking around the reservoir.

I had told Mum I would take her shopping this afternoon, so we returned home where I took a lateral flow test. We discovered the electrics had been sorted, and the new fridge freezer had been delivered so that was a bonus!

Before leaving for the care home, Sophie and I had a look at pendant lights, but we decided to venture out to Homesense tomorrow to have a proper look. It's quite difficult choosing something on the internet and we wanted to make sure we chose the right ones!

Mum and I went to Tesco, and she bought some underwear and a pretty top, along with some toiletries. We then sat and had a long chat in Costa, and I tried to get to the bottom of what had happened last week. It appears my Uncle visited and contacted their banks to try and get them a new debit card, but had cancelled the one I hold in the process. I was still very annoyed, and Mum was quite chastened about the whole experience, so let's hope it's behind us now.

Mum enjoyed two coffees, and then I took her back to the care home, promising that the next time I visited I would go up to the room to see Dad as well. At home, it was time for cocktails and Scrabble, but it took Sophie ages to make my drink as she kept forgetting things that were in the garage or couldn't find something she needed. We have set aside nearly the whole day tomorrow to get organised and have a good clean!

Dinner tonight was lovely - Keith barbecued sausages and chicken, and Sophie and I took care of the crushed new potatoes and a vegetable stir fry. We also decided on meals up to next Wednesday so that should make shopping a bit easier!

No comments: