Tuesday 5 January 2021

Un-decking the halls...

Day 1

I managed a lie-in this morning, which was a bit ironic, as I should have been going back to work after the Christmas break today. Sophie said that Monty was yowling madly at about 7am as both Keith and I were still in bed! He's used to having his breakfast at about 5am! We have been keeping him in at night recently as it's been so cold.

After a quick cup of coffee, I made a start on taking the decorations down. I felt so sad doing it, and I did wonder how we would be as a family next Christmas. I have a feeling Mike will move out this year to be with Abbie, so we'll just have to see.

I boxed everything up, and cleaned downstairs, but I am still going to have the lights in the tree outside, and the little fairy lights in the front window are now on the cabinet in the study, where they look very pretty. I think that, at the moment. we need all the lights we can get to cheer us up.



Sophie and I dressed up warmly and went out for a walk at lunchtime. On the way home, it was trying its hardest to give us a sleety shower, but half of the sky was still blue. It was bitingly cold!

I carried on with cleaning the house and pottering about in the afternoon and then went and had a lovely soak in the bath. Keith cooked a delicious dinner this evening - a chicken casserole with a honey and mustard sauce with dumplings. Perfect cold-weather food!

I also found a lovely programme on BBC4 called Winter Walks, which was highly enjoyable. This evening's episode was based in Cumbria, and it was great to see as we can't go anywhere at the moment!





No comments: