Tuesday 26 January 2021

21st Birthday celebrations!

Day 22

I had a very busy morning making a chocolate sponge cake for Mike's 21st, and also making a carrot and coriander soup for lunch. Outside it was grey and dreary, the blue skies of yesterday well and truly gone. We still had snow about, though, but with the forecast rain later in the day, it was bound to disappear!

I made the cake and I was quite pleased with it:



The soup was lovely as well, and I was able to use my new stick blender to smooth it. Sophie and I skipped a walk today as the weather was so horrible, and at 2pm we drove over to the care home so I could drop some shopping off for Mum. We were also able to get her on the phone so she could wish Mike a Happy Birthday. I never ever thought we would be celebrating in lockdown. A while ago I was planning a trip to Boston and Chicago to commemorate his special day! Good job we didn't book anything!

Back home we cracked open a bottle of Champagne and each had a slice of cake, which I was pleased with. I'm always worried it will be dense and dry!

I had a lovely soak in the bath in the evening, and we ordered an Indian takeaway for Mike's birthday meal. It arrived at about 7.30pm, and for once I chose a vegetarian curry with mushroom rice. The food was delicious and I hoped that Mike enjoyed his birthday despite not being able to go out and see his friends.

I watched a very disturbing documentary on BBC2 this evening about the start of the pandemic. Today, the UK death figures went over 100,000 people, a devastating number of lives lost. I still can't believe we are in this situation - at times it feels so unreal.

The good thing is that the vaccinations are ramping up, and we can't wait for Keith to be called for his!

No comments: