Friday 1 January 2021

A different kind of New year's Day!

Although I'd gone to bed late last night, I was still awake at 7am this morning. It was nice, though, to ease slowly into the first day of 2021 and enjoy a cup of coffee and a film. I chose Downhill, starring Will Ferrell, and I remembered putting this film onto our cinema at work. However, I was very glad I hadn't paid money to go and see it, as it was a bit of a disappointment!

I also managed to break one of Sophie's cocktail glasses when I took out our new calendar from the cabinet in the study. I was horrified as I know how much she loves them, but I went straight onto eBay and was extremely lucky to find the exact same ones for sale. There were seven available, so I was able to order some more. Not a brilliant start to the New Year, but I may have escaped with it!

The weather outside was dull and cold, and it took a bit of persuasion to rouse my family. We had decided to go to Towcester for a walk and take-away fish and chips. There really wasn't much else to do today! We set off in my Dad's car, and took some salt and vinegar with us for lunch! I was just hoping the take-away would be open!

We drove past first to check and then parked in the middle of the market town. I had never really been to Towcester before, despite living in Northamptonshire for over 40 years, and I'm sure in normal circumstances it would be bustling and lively as there are several pubs and numerous shops and cafes on the main street.

We walked down to The Marlin Fish bar and ordered three lots of cod and chips. We had to wait a while as we were the only customers, and the food was freshly cooked for us. As soon as it had been wrapped in paper we hot-footed it back to the car and tucked in. The meal was delicious!

We wrapped up the food we couldn't eat to take home to feed our hungry birds (they gave us large portions!), and headed home via the A5. The thought of walking in the rain with a full tummy didn't bear thinking about! I wanted to show Keith the new road by Junction 16 so we went that way, and Sophie suggested driving through Duston to see the old mental hospital, St Crispin's. I had thought it had been converted into apartments, but some of the old building was still standing, albeit it empty and deserted. We were amazed at how many houses had been built in the area, there were hundreds!

Back home Sophie and I watched a film upstairs on Netflix called Wild Target starring Bill Nighy and Emily Blunt. It was very funny and perfect for an afternoon lolling on the bed in the warm!

As we'd eaten at lunchtime, we enjoyed Sophie's Indian rice pudding in the evening. We settled down to watch a new series, The Serpent, and all of us had a tot of whisky as a nightcap. Perfect!



No comments: