Saturday 2 January 2021

The promise of snow...

Mike was working this weekend so Keith took him in at 6am, and I went and picked him up at about 8.30am. There really wasn't a lot he could do, poor thing, and when I collected him he looked half-frozen! It is still very cold and set to stay this way for at least a week. There is even talk of snow!

Sophie and I enjoyed Saturday Morning Kitchen while we ate breakfast. One of Sophie's heroines was on today, Grace Dent, the restaurant critic. What a job! Although at the moment, she is probably not doing a lot of reviews!

In the late morning, Keith and Mike managed to fix one of the plastic panels underneath my car so now we can take it out again, but I want to get it fixed permanently. With all the dirty weather about and the water and mud on the roads, it needs doing properly.

Keith and I popped over to Brixworth afterwards as I needed toothpaste, and also bird food. If it's going to get much colder our poor birds need food! Unfortunately, the small hardware shop that sells everything was closed for Christmas so I went home without any. We have all been urged to shop locally at the moment but that's all very well if the small shops are open! I went home and ordered a load of food online for our feathered friends as I really didn't want to trek down to Wilco's on Riverside! 

Sophie and I applied a facemask in the early afternoon and lolled about on the bed watching Saturday Morning Best Bites. It looks so strange when all the guests are seated near to each other at the table! How things used to be!

 At 3pm Sophie and I decided to go out for a walk, and we headed to Brixworth country park first as I fancied a stroll there and a hot chocolate afterwards. We were hoping that at 3pm it would be quieter, but although there were some spaces in the car park, the place was still crowded! There was a sign when we went in saying the car park was full so it must have been another busy day! As we weren't sure whether they took Apple Pay we headed back to Old and parked on the outskirts of the village so we could walk down Mill Lane, a lovely single track road that's very quiet.

The sun was going down, and the sky was beautiful again. Before we'd ventured out I'd checked the weather forecast, and was astonished to see heavy snow forecast at about 6pm! The sky was looking a bit ominous and I really hoped it would snow at some point in the next few days! It was lovely to lean on one of the field gates and just gaze at the sky, one of my favourite things to do, especially at this time of the day as the sun was setting. I always think there's a little bit of magic in the air!











We walked quite a way along the road and just saw the odd car go past, as well as one of our neighbours who was out jogging with his daughter. It was blissfully quiet until a nearby bird scarer started up, and then made gunshot sounds every couple of minutes, which was a bit unnerving! At one point we heard what sounded like thunder and the sky was growing ever more cloudy so we decided to call it a day and headed back to the car. Plus, it was freezing cold!

Back home we enjoyed a glass of mulled wine and Sophie and I played Scrabble in the conservatory. Sadly, there was no snow today but next week is still set to be cold with sleet and snow showers in the forecast!

Keith cooked a delicious beef pie for dinner, which was perfect food for such a very cold day!

No comments: