Sunday 17 January 2021

A sodden walk

Day 13

The forecast for today was set to be sunny and dry, so I had planned on venturing out into the garden for a while. I donned my walking boots as the grass was wet and muddy, and looked in despair at the state of our garden! Underneath one of the bird feeders, the fallen bits of fat snax had gathered in a greasy clump so I raked the grass over, picking up a horrible sludge on the end of the rake, which went into the gardening bin. Horrible!

Some of the summer bedding plants hadn't made it through the winter, so they went into the bin as well, but a lot were looking OK if a little bedraggled! The grass was too wet to spend time walking on, and after tidying up the Hydrangea, I called it a day and went back inside. I know that as the weather improves and spring arrives it will look a lot better, but it was very disheartening to see the garden looking so messy!

Sophie and I had our weekly facemask before joining Keith for lunch in the conservatory. We ate the leftover Indian from Friday night, so that was good. I would have hated to see it go to waste!

In the afternoon we popped over to see my parents from outside the home, but Mum didn't answer the phone, so it was a bit of a wasted trip. We did call and get the Sunday newspapers though, as I had missed reading them last week. Hopefully, from next week they'll be delivered to a box on our estate!

Sophie and I went for a walk when we got home. I had originally planned on parking at the top of the track that leads down to the nature reserve, but I had forgotten my boots so we walked from home. Sophie suggested walking through the fields, but we were unprepared for how wet and muddy the paths were. We met Dannii the dog walker - with her own dogs for once - and stood and chatted to her for a while. There were lots of other people out and about as well, so we had to use a fair amount of avoidance tactics!

The track leading to the sheep field was underwater, so we back-tracked up to the road, and then carried on down the stony path to the nature reserve. We were a bit early for sunset, and after standing at the gate for a while, and admiring the views, we returned home.

Sophie made us Spiced Rum cocktails, and we played Scrabble as night fell outside. I beat Sophie at Scrabble so we played cards... and she beat me!

Dinner tonight was a delicious beef pie with shortcrust pastry, as a change. Another weekend is over!

No comments: