Monday 4 January 2021

Another lockdown looms...

Today has certainly been eventful! I was woken by Keith at 7am to say he was going back to get Mike from work as our son thought he had broken a rib. Apparently, he fell up some stairs yesterday and bashed his chest on the brick steps. Why he never said anything when he returned from Abbie's house, I'll never know. When they arrived back home I asked him what had happened, and then he returned to his bedroom to rest. He didn't have any bruising but said the area was swollen and tender.

Keith and I popped to Tesco to get some shopping for the next few days, and tried to get it done as quickly as possible by using the scanner. Keith wasn't that impressed, especially when one of the staff came to do a check! However, I think it's a great idea, and I would definitely use it again.

We headed home to find Mike looking in the fridge for food so he obviously didn't feel that bad. He said his chest still hurt so we called the GP surgery for him to try and arrange a phone appointment. He was more concerned about getting a sick note for work! I waited on the phone for ages, then Keith took over while I went out for a walk with Sophie. We walked down to the village, and it was bitterly cold with a north wind cutting right through us!

Back at home, the surgery had said that Mike needed to call 111, which he did, telling us that they had advised him to go to A&E, to be on the safe side. I was not very happy as A&E is the last place I wanted him to go at the moment. However, we felt it was the right thing to do so I drove him down to the hospital and dropped him off. I doubted very much I would have been allowed in with him, and he said that Abbie would collect him when she finished work. He really didn't want to go and said that he felt he didn't need to be seen, but I said they would probably give him an x-ray to make sure.

As soon as I got home, though, he had texted me to say he was advised the wait time was 3-4 hours before even being seen by a doctor, so he'd left and gone to Abbie's house!

Keith and I had called the garage this morning to try and get the plastic panel re-fitted onto my car, and they'd asked us to go over at 4pm. I had noticed that the car was shuddering a bit when I braked going downhill and I felt that something wasn't right. One of the mechanics tore off in my car, while Keith and I stood outside in the freezing wind. It was so cold! 

When he came back he said he couldn't detect anything was wrong so I had to accept his verdict. If things don't get better, though, I'm taking it back! Before we left we booked Sophie's car and my Dad's car in for their MOTs on the 22 January. However, the mechanic said there was going to be an announcement from Boris this evening at 8pm with the news of a total lockdown, the same as we went through in March. He reckoned that people would be cancelling their MOTs as they wouldn't be driving anywhere!

We returned home and Keith and I sat and watched A Perfect Planet. The filming was truly stunning, and we learned that there are over 1500 active volcanoes on the planet! I thought there were only about three or four!

Amazingly, tonight was the episode of Pointless we had seen last January, on the 8th, so nearly a year ago! Although we think we saw the back of Keith's head a couple of times, it wasn't really clear, and I certainly didn't see me! I did remember the contestants and some of the questions, though and it was great to see it again!

At 8pm we gathered around the television and learnt that the whole of England will be back into a strict lockdown. All schools, colleges and universities will be closed and there's talk of a review in the middle of February. Here we go again!

No comments: