Monday 21 December 2020

Trawling around the shops.

Today the weather has been absolutely horrible - it barely got light, and it has poured for most of the morning and late afternoon.

We woke up to the news that France has closed its borders with us, so lorries were stacking up at Dover and Folkestone. Lots of other countries are now refusing flights from the UK, including Ireland, Germany and the Netherlands. Can it get any worse? Of course, this meant then, that the whispers of food shortages started, so Keith and I went over to Aldi and Tesco before 9am. 

I had been having a nice, lazy start to the day watching a programme about a lucky group of people who had taken advantage of Barbados opening its doors for a year so they could work from home... how lovely!

Aldi was fine and was quiet, but we had to queue to get into Tesco, something we haven't had to do for months. It was horrible standing in the rain, but in the store itself, it wasn't too bad and definitely quieter than when Sophie and I went on Saturday! We have one more shop to do and we're planning to go very early on Wednesday to get our vegetables and wine for Christmas Day. Wish us luck!

I had things I needed to buy for Mum and Dad so Keith and I split up in Tesco. As I was waiting for Keith, I spotted Sue and we had a chat. She's going out for an Indian on Christmas Day, so she's sorted!

We headed home and unpacked all the shopping before driving into town to Jones's where I was hoping to buy more presents. I was getting desperate now! Jones's wasn't as busy as I imagined, and it was clear that they were winding everything down now in terms of Christmas. I wouldn't have been surprised to see Valentine's cards or Easter things on display!

I managed to spend just over £100 in the wholesalers... Some of this was money now owed to me by Mike for his grandparents' gifts, but even so, it was far more than I had been expecting to pay! And I still need to get a few bits and bobs! Arrgghh!

On the way home I called into the small post office near Whitehills to post condolence cards to my cousins, Beverley and Kim. Predictably, there was a queue and I stood in it, outside in the cold, for quite a while. We then sped home where Sophie had given up waiting for us and had started her lunch.

I had a look on the internet for gift ideas and gave up. I suggested to Keith that we go to Beckworth for one last shop and we drove there after picking up our prescriptions at the surgery in Brixworth. Travelling over Pitsford reservoir we marvelled at how full it was. We have certainly had some rain lately!

Beckworth was busy but I bought gifts for my Mum from Mike, so that was a huge relief. Keith and I looked at the turkeys and there were only a few available - we saw a huge crown for about £70 and on the other end of the scale a tiny little one for £22! I doubt it would have fed two!

It was a relief to get home, and after Sophie had finished work I wrapped everything so I think I am done now. Hooray!


No comments: