Sunday 20 December 2020

Sad news

Sophie received a shock this morning when she awoke to a text message from the NHS app saying she had been somewhere recently - no idea where or when - and a person visiting on the same day had tested positive for Covid. We think it may have been Beckworth last Saturday, but there were no details, and the app just told her to look out for symptoms and get a test if she developed any! It was a bit worrying but all of us feel fine and it had been eight days ago so let's hope the person visited at a different time of the day!

We mooched about the house all morning and at 1pm went over to Weedon to try and get some more Christmas shopping done. It was a gorgeous day with lots of sunshine and blue skies but it was cold! I had planned on cleaning the inside of my car, but the thought made me shiver! The drive over was beautiful - all rolling hills and gorgeous scenery through the villages of Spratton and Ravensthorpe.

We made a beeline for Darlington's cafe and opted to sit outside, at the back of the restaurant, which was mostly enclosed, and had lots of heaters. 



I am starting to worry about being inside now, especially with this new variant of the virus about, so sitting outside was perfect. It was a bit chilly, though and halfway through our visit, it started to pour with rain, but we were protected. We enjoyed a lovely lunch of baked potatoes, mine with tuna and Sophie's with cheese and beans. Mine came accompanied by a mound of salad, including grapes and apple. Delicious!


It was very pretty in the little outside area, a bit like Santa's grotto, so we had a lovely time sitting and chatting. After we'd eaten we went and had a good look at the shops, and Sophie managed to complete her shopping, which was great! A much more successful day than yesterday! I didn't manage to get anything, though, and time is running out for me!

We drove home on the new bypass road, and after crossing the M1 at Junction 16, I was amazed at the new road layout, and two huge new warehouses that had been built by the Red Lion truckstop! It must have been ages since we travelled this way!

Back home it was time to relax and let Keith look after dinner, pulled pork served with new potatoes and baps. I received a phone call from my cousin, Beverley, with the very sad news that my Aunt Pat had died today. I had been expecting it as Beverley had messaged me to say she was ill, but it was still a shock and I phoned my parents immediately. I am not sure when the funeral will be, or even if we can go, but my parents were shocked as well, especially my Dad as Aunt Pat was his older sister.

Dinner was delicious, and after we'd eaten Keith watched the BBC Sports Personality of the Year. Sophie and I went upstairs and I watched the Vicar of Dibley on my Kindle Fire. At least it made me smile! When Keith came to bed he said that our neighbouring countries had started to ban flights and ferries from the UK because of the new variant of coronavirus. It looks like things are going to get worse!




No comments: