Saturday 12 December 2020

Tea and cake... again!

I was up earlyish, and started watching Little Women, but gave up after about half an hour. The film kept moving backwards and forwards in time, which I hate! I'm just glad I didn't go and see it at the cinema!

When Sophie woke up we had breakfast of cheese on toast and watched Saturday Kitchen. However, I had a lot of things planned for today so by lunchtime, we were showered and dressed and ready to go. We went to Mum and Dad's care home first and I dropped off some new underwear and shoes for my Mum, as well as a pair of trainers for my Dad.

We then sped over to Brixworth as I had a stack of cards to post for my Mum, and there was one that was destined for Cyprus. However, just as we arrived, the post office closed, which was very annoying! Undeterred we drove to the small post office near The Whitehills pub which is always very friendly and helpful. The lady behind the counter said the card might still make it to Cyprus in time, but she did warn me that at the moment, the post was very slow, something we have noticed at home with expected deliveries.

From there we popped to Moulton so that Sophie could post a card to a friend who lives in the village and then it was over to Beckworth for lunch. Originally we'd decided to just have cake and a cup of tea, but both of us were hungry so we decided to share a panini. I had been expecting the restaurant to be decked out in Christmas decorations, but we were both disappointed with the lack of atmosphere. We were seated right at the farthest end of the marquee and looked over a jumble of boxes and mess. Not really what we were expecting!

However, as always, the food was very good, and we shared a pulled pork panini served with French fries, salad and coleslaw, and then we each chose a cake. Sophie decided on the Red Velvet while I went for a festive slice of sherry trifle torte, which was a bit on the small side!


After we'd eaten we visited the shop and Sophie bought lots of foodie gifts for her boyfriend. It is highly doubtful whether she will actually be able to give them to him before Christmas because of the current lockdowns, and the fact that London is set to go up into Tier 3 next week.

We drove home, and as we neared the house we saw a car parked outside, with a woman staring in the windows... As I pulled onto the drive she was literally hanging out of the window, and when I went over she said she was trying to work out what letter we were displaying for the Advent window! I apologised and said that I thought I only had to display it for the one day, but it seems not! I told her the letter T, and she went off very satisfied!

Sophie and I had decided to go to the small Christmas Fayre in the village and we drove up rather than walk in the dark. I was glad we did because we were there for all of five minutes! They had tried, bless them, but you just can't recreate the lovely atmosphere of a candle-lit church outside!

We returned home, Sophie made us Vodka martinis and we played Scrabble in the conservatory while Keith cooked Beef Stroganoff for dinner. Delicious!


No comments: