Tuesday 8 December 2020

Getting things done!

We awoke to another freezing cold morning but the weather is set to change later today and become a bit milder. Keith and I took my car over to Broughton this morning to get the brake pads replaced and braved the morning rush hour traffic, which was terrible.

We had intended going straight to Brixworth to go to the post office, but we decided to wait until later in the morning and avoid the school run! It can get very manic at the shops as a lot of parents park there to take their children to school.

We went home and had some breakfast instead, and watched the sky slowly turn blue. The fog had disappeared this morning, and the rest of the day turned out to be gorgeous with all the trees and hedges white and frosty.

After breakfast, we ventured over to Brixworth, and I popped into the Co-op first to get some tins and packets for the food bank collection this evening. I can't believe that two weeks have gone by so quickly! I then went and joined the long queue for the post office and bought stamps for my Christmas cards. I decided to head home and put them on the envelopes there, so Sophie and I could post them at lunchtime when we went for a walk.

Sophie had a fairly fraught online meeting at work this morning and I sat in the conservatory with her. At lunchtime, it was heaven to get out and enjoy the cold crisp air and sunshine. We posted the cards and walked up to the village where I had another look at the advent window in the house opposite the pub. It was pretty but you'd have to look hard to see the letter! I think ours will be easier to find!

Back home it was lunchtime, and Sophie had the last of the Mulligatawny soup while I had leftovers from the pasta dish we'd enjoyed last night. Keith went to get Mike from work, and I pootled about doing some chores. At the moment all I seem to do is empty or fill the dishwasher and tidy up the kitchen! It seems never-ending! I also had a message from a neighbour who wanted me to sort out her gym membership, which put me into a bad mood! I messaged her back saying that I wouldn't be at work until Thursday and she would have to call the contact centre to sort it out herself. Grrr!

Rob Price called and said the car would be ready at 4.30pm, so I had about half an hour to start preparing the window for tomorrow. I had ordered some lights for my Mum but she no longer needed them so I used them on our front window and Keith helped me unravel them, which was a real finicky job! I just hope they'll look OK!

Keith and I went to get the car and the rush hour traffic, at 4pm, was horrendous. They had replaced the brake pads but still couldn't find the source of the knocking and the mechanic said he couldn't even hear it. It cost us £123, and Keith drove my car home through the murky gloom. He said it hadn't made a noise all the way so let's hope it's fixed!

I had a trial run of the lights back home and then soaked in the bath for ages. Bliss!


No comments: