Friday 25 December 2020

An indulgent Christmas Day!

We awoke to sunshine and blue skies again, but it was cold. By 9am Sophie and Mike were awake, so we cracked open a bottle of Champagne and gathered in the living room to open our presents. I think we all did very well, but there was a lot of booze involved!

My parents called, and they were both delighted with the gifts we had given them. I was hoping that today would be special for them, to try and make up for the difficulties they had suffered over the last few months.

After the present-opening, I tidied up and we had breakfast. We didn't see Father Christmas walking around this year - normally someone dresses up, and walks around our estate ringing a bell, but not this year, which was a shame. We haven't a clue who it is, but it was nice to see him all the same!

At about 11am, we drove over the care home and waved to my parents through the lounge window. I was unable to book a visit today but I can see them tomorrow, on Boxing Day. It was lovely to see them, but very sad at the same time...

Back home, Keith took charge in the kitchen and popped our beautiful turkey into the oven. The smells all afternoon were lovely and made us hungry although we didn't want to eat a lot as we didn't want to lose our appetite! Sophie has developed a head cold and felt horrible in the afternoon, but Keith made her a hot toddy and that cheered her up. I had a couple of G&Ts with a new Gin that Keith had bought me - it was a lovely, herby Gin that tasted of a summer garden!

Keith stayed in the kitchen all afternoon, and Sophie and I lolled on the sofa watching television, which was very indulgent! We saw Planes, Trains and Automobiles, a film I always enjoy, followed by Remarkable Places to eat with Fred Sirieux and Michel Roux. Watching that just made us hungrier!

By 5pm, the meal was ready, and Keith had really put a huge amount of effort into the cooking. We enjoyed a truly delicious turkey, stuffing, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, carrots and parsnips cooked with honey, Brussels sprouts, Yorkshire puddings, broccoli and cauliflower and mashed swede. It did bring it home to Keith, though, that we do need a double oven when the kitchen is replaced. Not just for a large Christmas dinner, but if we have people around to eat, or even if we need to cook four pizzas at once!

We had crackers left over from last year so we pulled those, drank a bottle of Chablis, and had a great time. After we'd eaten, Keith was shattered so he went and sat in the living room while Sophie, Mike and I cleared away and washed up.

We had a very relaxing evening, and at about 8.30pm, Sophie and I enjoyed a restaurant-standard Tiramisu which had benefited from being made the day before. Keith and Mike were asleep so we had control over the remote... perfect! Dessert was accompanied by an Australian Semillon and we watched the Christmas episode of Escape to the Chateau.

It was a lovely, very relaxed day and I spoke to my parents several times on the phone. I am hoping that next year we can spend the day with them!



No comments: