Friday 4 December 2020

Another week gone by!

Another week has whizzed by, and it's Friday again! I really must start thinking about Christmas as it will soon be here!

Sophie went to the gym this morning and I got up with her and had a cup of coffee. Outside it was raining, and although snow had been forecast, we had none. I ate breakfast with Sophie in the conservatory, and after we'd eaten, Keith and I went over to B&Q in Kettering to try and get some wood to make into the letter "T". We have an advent walk in the village, and I agreed to display the letter in the window on the 9th of December. I had planned on nailing two pieces of wood together and then winding lights around them but after looking at the lengths of wood available, and thinking about the work involved, I decided to cheat and order a lit-up letter T on Amazon!

We traipsed over to Next, near Aldi, and I took the clothes back that I'd bought for my Mum for her birthday. I had another look in the store but I was a bit worried that whatever I bought her wouldn't fit so I decided to look online instead.

We popped into the Co-op at Broughton on the way home, drove past my Mum and Dad's old house (I still can't believe we've sold it), and then took the scenic route back for a change. It was still a dreary, grey and cold day with unrelenting rain. The kind of day to stay inside, and get warm and cosy!

For lunch today I made Sophie and I stuffed peppers - I added boiling water to a packet of couscous, then sliced the top off two peppers, removed the pips, and the pith inside, and filled them with a mixture of couscous and chopped up tomato. I baked them in the oven for twenty minutes and then added some cheese to melt on the top. I have to say they were delicious!

While the peppers were cooking I started the preparations for a Mulligatawny soup and chopped up celery, carrot, swede, onion, red pepper and two apples. After we'd eaten lunch I made the soup, and then let it simmer for half an hour on the hob. All I needed to do later was blend it with my new blender, add rice and heat through.

I managed a nap on the sofa in the conservatory in the afternoon, after putting fresh bedding onto our bed, which is an ordeal in itself! Outside the weather had not improved at all, and we had fresh warnings out for snow later in the evening.

At 6pm, with a G&T in hand and some Indian mini flatbreads to nibble on, Sophie and I watched Greg Wallace visit a wonderful Christmas market in Vienna. That is the one big thing I will miss this December - as far as I know, all the markets in the UK have been cancelled, which is a real shame. We'll just have to make up for it next year!

Dinner was delicious but I couldn't get the soup as smooth as I wanted as my blender stopped working! It's brand new so that was very annoying! However, the soup, served with naan bread, was lovely and very filling, and went down extremely well!

Tonight was the final of I'm A Celebrity, and I was delighted to see Giovanna win the title of Queen of the Castle! I had voted for her throughout, so I was mightily pleased! I will certainly miss the show!


No comments: