Thursday 30 April 2020

Worrying times...

Day 38

Keith went shopping this morning - some things don't change! We are planning on having a takeaway from our local this evening so that's something to look forward to. We tried calling as soon as the phone lines opened at 10am but the number was constantly engaged!

Keith wasn't able to get any paella rice in Tesco so we decided to venture out in the morning and go to the Weston Favell Centre. I have to admit to feeling quite low today - the weather was a mix of sunshine and showers and I was worried that my Mum would be discharged today when she wasn't really ready to come home.

Keith and I drove over to the Weston Favell Centre and Keith was still unlucky with the rice in the large Tesco there. Our last resort was Waitrose in Kingsthorpe and although there was a fairly long queue, he managed to get a pack at last!

On the way home we called into the pub and Keith ordered in person. We arranged the meal for 7.30pm so it will be great not to have to cook this evening.

Back home I called the hospital to discover that my Mum was being discharged at about 2pm with a care assessment team calling to the house at about 4.30pm this afternoon. Sophie and I drove over to her house and picked up the car and as soon as I arrived back, the hospital called to say she was ready to come home.

I drove down to the hospital in the pouring rain feeling very nervous indeed. I was worried she may have contracted Covid19 on the ward and dreaded getting it and passing it on to Keith. At the hospital I called the ward and was able to park in a short stay space right outside A&E.

Mum was brought down about ten minutes later and was wearing a mask and a hospital gown. I spoke briefly to her nurses (neither of whom were wearing masks) and they explained about her medication. Mum seemed a lot better than last week and at least we were able to hold a normal conversation in the car on the way home. It continued to pour with rain all the way home and the weather was a match for my mood.

Before getting her back I called into the Co-op and bought some essentials and then once at home I settled her into the house, made her a cup of tea and we chatted. She suddenly seemed very nervous about being on her own even though I had explained that she would be. She had been having strange dreams in the hospital and was worried that she would do something in the house whilst on her own. To be honest, this was really not what I wanted to hear at all, so I phoned Northamptonshire Carers and fortunately managed to secure carers to stay with Mum at night until Monday when the live-in carer is due to arrive.

At 4.30pm two women arrived to carry out an assessment and I wasn't at all impressed. As Mum doesn't need help with washing or dressing they said they would only come out once during the day - an evening call to help her prepare a meal. The two of them were very young and a bit patronising, if I'm honest. I'm glad they will only arrange for the care visits for today, tomorrow and the weekend. One ominous thing was Mum coughing quite a bit - the carers hadn't been worried as she'd been tested in hospital and was negative, but I was very concerned, nonetheless.

I returned home and with Sophie we had a look at the carers who were interested in looking after Mum and Dad. We picked a lovely lady called Binty who loves cooking and had had experience with Parkinson's. I approved our choice and she is going to arrive on Monday lunchtime, thank goodness!

Keith and I picked up our meals at 7.30pm but my appetite had disappeared with worrying about Mum. At 7.45pm my mobile rang and it was the night carer who couldn't find Mum's house. Sophie and I dashed over and met her so we could guide her to the house.

We settled her in and I was very glad she was there so Mum could get a good night's sleep. We drove home the scenic way but the niggling cough Mum had was worrying me tremendously so I couldn't enjoy my usual favourite views over the countryside. What else can possibly go wrong?

I tried to relax when we got home by watching Everyone Loves Raymond, but my head was still full of worries. I just hope I sleep well tonight!

No comments: