Tuesday 7 April 2020

Outdoor jobs

Day 15

It has been a beautiful day today and ideal for tackling outdoor jobs. Sophie woke up with a headache this morning so decided to abandon any running, which I thought was a good idea. It disappeared very soon, though, which was a relief, and I think it was a hangover from working the previous day. She was doing a lot of figures and maybe squinting at her laptop screen all day.

Keith went out for a walk and I washed Sophie's car, inside and out. When Keith returned he came out to chat and I mentioned the overgrown bushes at the front of the house, which really needed some attention. He agreed to tackle them with the hedgetrimmer and I followed behind him raking up the fallen branches and making everything tidy.

Of course, it was a great opportunity to chat to neighbours (Sue was visiting Archie and Bailey) and Richard and Michelle also came out to say hello (we all stood far apart though!). Everyone was enjoying the warm temperatures and sunshine and the atmosphere was quite jolly!

We worked until about 1pm and I was very pleased with the results. The bushes have been cut right back (but not aggressively - I reined in Slasher Keith!) and now the light can get to the verge, which we will re-turf later in the year when we can get out and buy some grass to put down. I did contemplate top soil and grass seed, but I know that Monty likes to lie in this patch of grass and no doubt the birds will also feast on the seed!

I made sandwiches and fruit salad for lunch and then went out to tackle the front windows which were dirty and cobwebby. I took the step ladders out with me, but decided to try not to use them as several friends have had accidents doing cleaning jobs since we've been confined to our houses! One friend has broken her ankle falling off a ladder, while another has done her back in!

By 3pm I was pooped so I watched A Place in the Sun and then had a shower. Afterwards I lay on our bed for half an hour and dozed. Outside I could hear the lovely sound of children playing - although we are all confined to our homes, it's still nice to hear life going on all around us!

When Sophie finished work we went for a walk again and did the same circuit as last night. The sunshine was a bit more hazy this evening but it was still beautiful and the lambs seem to be getting used to us walking through their field! Back home a delivery from Amazon arrived for my Mum and Dad so we popped it over to them, and then returned to relax with a soft drink while Keith made cottage pie for dinner.

The week is whizzing past again and we're looking forward to Easter this weekend, but it won't be Easter as we know it! I hadn't yet booked any time off over Easter and was preparing to work either Good Friday or Easter Monday, but that's not a worry any more!

No comments: