Friday 1 May 2020

New month, new hope?

Day 39

I didn't sleep well at all last night and woke this morning feeling tired and drained. The night carer sent me a text before she left mentioning the cough my Mum had, which filled me with fear. I immediately called the hospital and asked a nurse if she had been showing any signs of Covid19 before she left. The nurse said she'd been swabbed before she was discharged and the ward didn't have any cases anyway. This reassured me a bit, especially when I looked at the hospital website which said that they were swabbing patients on a daily basis and the results were only taking four hours to get back.

Sophie went to work this morning and as soon as she got there I made plans to leave to go and see Mum. However, she called just as I was leaving and said she felt very confused and her head felt "funny"... I went dashing over there and Mum was up but looking a bit wobbly. I made her a coffee and some toast and we sat and chatted for almost two hours. She hardly coughed, so that was a relief.

Mum needed some things from Tesco so I went home, collected Keith to come with me (just for support) and ventured over to the supermarket. Luckily I didn't have to queue and the store wasn't that busy at all. I bought everything I needed, went through the self-service tills and re-joined Keith in the car.

The carer organisation had called to ask me about Mum's cough and wanted me to take her temperature but there were no thermometers anywhere! We dropped Mum's shopping off and went home, but at 1pm I went back over to make sure she had taken her medication and made her a sandwich for her lunch. We chatted for another hour and again, she hardly coughed, and when I touched her chest it certainly didn't feel hot.

At 2pm I went home, had a long hot bath and then fell asleep on our bed watching A Place in the Sun. I was shattered. I woke up feeling a bit better and at 4pm I had a long chat with our family liaison man from Elder who will be there to support us while Binty is looking after my Mum and Dad. It's great to know that's in place for extra peace of mind.

Sophie came home at just after 5pm and we relaxed with a glass of Prosecco and 90 Day Fiance. Although it was enjoyable, it wasn't like the usual carefree Friday night we normally have when we're looking forward to the weekend. This pandemic has robbed us all of that lovely Friday night feeling when you know you're not at work in the morning and a lovely weekend stretches ahead of you.

Dinner tonight was chilli con carne and very good it was, too. I was able to relax at 8pm when the carer arrived (I'd been calling my Mum frequently) and we sat and watched Gardener's World for an hour. Even that wasn't the same!

No comments: