Sunday 19 April 2020

Shock awakening

Day 27

I was woken at just before 8am this morning by the carers to say that a paramedic had been called for my Mum as she had a temperature and raging sore throat. In the end, she wasn't taken to hospital and the paramedic was fairly sure it wasn't coronavirus, as she said my Mum was dehydrated, which could have caused the sore throat and her temperature wasn't that high.

Sophie and I went over to see her and met the paramedic who was just leaving. She had organised some penicillin for her, to be collected from Tesco at Kettering which we said we would go and get as we also needed to do some shopping for her.

Sophie took her own trolley at Tesco and this was her first real experience of shopping in the coronavirus age! She was a bit bemused by the one-way system and went off to get ingredients for tonight's dinner - a Gino D'Acampo recipe of chicken risotto with saffron.

I trundled around buying foodstuffs for Mum and Dad and collected my Mum's tablets from the instore pharmacy. She now has even more medication to take which is a bit worrying, as she is getting easily confused at the moment.

Tesco wasn't too bad at all and at least we didn't have to queue to get in! Normally Sundays are very busy but not any more. I just hope that we are nearing the end of this now but I fear we will be shopping like this for a fair while to come.

We dropped the shopping off at Mum's and put it all away. She looked a bit brighter and I made her take two tablets before I left. Luckily the carers were coming in several times today and tonight they are having someone stay all night so I was relieved about that.

Back home we put our own shopping away and I went and had a shower. We all decided to go for a walk in the afternoon and we did the "round", something I haven't done for ages, although Keith is trying to do it every day. It was wonderful to be out in the fields and the more we walked the better I felt. It was great to power up the hill without stopping so maybe the increased amount of walking I'm doing lately is having benefits.

Back home we relaxed in the garden and it was wonderful to soak up the afternoon sunshine. We stayed outside for quite a while and the sun was really hot on my jeans!

Sophie and I cooked dinner in the evening and after a worrying start when the risotto didn't have much taste, it turned out to be delicious. We roasted some asparagus to accompany the meal and put some garlic butter pats onto an uneaten garlic naan from last night as we'd forgotten to get any baguettes! It went very well and the meal was lovely!




No comments: