Thursday 9 April 2020

Grumpy people!

Day 17

Sophie was at work today as it was the last day of her working week and Keith and I went and did our shopping, as well as Mum and Dad's. Mum had emailed me a list the night before so all I needed to do was pop in and get her bank card.

It was another gorgeous day and we arrived at Aldi just as it was opening. We each took a trolley and although Mum and Dad don't normally shop in Aldi they were going to get some shopping there today! It would have been pointless for me to have sat in the car while Keith bought our things!

Unlike Tesco, Aldi didn't have arrows all over the aisles and we were left pretty much to get on with it and be sensible about staying away from other shoppers. However, when we were both queuing up at the checkout, the woman at the till shouted at Keith to keep his distance! I found it highly embarrassing and I did point out that he was my husband so therefore allowed to be closer than normal! She was OK after that but it's these kinds of things I won't forget when this is all over!

We then drove to Tesco where we realised it was coming up to 9am and from then onwards for an hour, our NHS workers had priority. A couple of women started to do a bit of shouting but I couldn't make out why - because there were other people about or because Tesco hadn't called them through immediately to go and shop?

We had to queue for a fair while and Keith was allowed in before me so I had to wait for another five minutes. Never, ever will I take for granted just being able to walk into the supermarket again! NEVER!

We did our shopping and there was another angry man having a go at a customer because he wasn't keeping his distance, something that is extremely difficult to do at times in the store. I felt like saying to the angry man to tone it down - this is a horrible situation for all of us and no-one knows what other people are going through. The first few lines of the opening of Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities springs to mind:

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way...

This situation has brought out the best of some of us and the worst in others, unfortunately. I now hate going out, I'd far rather stay at home (as we're supposed to) because at times there's a horrible atmosphere, almost like everyone views everyone else with suspicion.

Anyway, two and a half hours after we set off, we arrived back home, put everything away and finally had some breakfast. Mum had been very happy with her shopping (even the Aldi items!) and Keith and I decided to pootle about for the rest of the day and leave the gardening to next week. There is no end in sight to the lockdown and the weather is set to be sunny and warm over the weekend and into next week.

I did give the garage door a good wash, though, and the surround so I did do something! Keith and I sat in the garden and soaked up the sunshine for a while and listened to the birds singing - what a beautiful sound!

Sophie was home from work by 4.30pm and we decided to sit in the conservatory and play a game of cards, something we hadn't done for ages! It was a most agreeable evening and we all enjoyed playing and having a good chat. Dinner tonight was just baked potatoes and after we'd eaten I had a sudden urge to watch Bram Stoker's Dracula starring Gary Oldman, Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves. They all looked so young!



No comments: