Friday 10 April 2020

Frying tonight...

Day 18

So, it's Good Friday, but as I've said before, it could be any day of the week!

Keith and Sophie went for a walk this morning whilst I continued to grapple with uploading my blog onto the book publishing website. I have no idea why I'm having such trouble with it this time as before it's been very simple. Even Sophie tried as well, but in the afternoon we gave up.

I have to admit to being in a bad mood today. There is no end in sight to this lockdown and I am missing my normal routine so much! At least the weather continues to be beautiful and I really should be thankful that we are all OK, we are incredibly lucky to have a garden and be surrounded by countryside that we're able to walk in!

Sophie and I went for a walk in the evening but my heart really wasn't in it. We walked up to the village and through the sheep field and then back home. It was amazingly warm for the time of year and I'd worn the wrong top, so I was hot!

We are having a little worry at the moment with Monty's foot - since last Saturday when he had the spat with Joe, his left paw seems to be hurting him. Yesterday we thought it was fine but today he keeps lifting it up and then licking it. Of course, now is completely the worst time for him to have anything wrong! Not only is it the Easter weekend, but we are all on lockdown and I'm not sure if the vets are even open, except for emergencies.

This evening someone thought it would be a good idea to have fish and chips and as our local chippy is closed, we decided to batter and fry the fish and chips ourselves... Keith made a beer batter and after joining us in the kitchen, Sophie said she couldn't bear watching us cook, so she left us alone. We had half-filled the wok with vegetable oil and we cooked the chipped potatoes first. They took ages and when they were done we kept them warm in the oven. Then Keith coated the haddock and cod in flour and dipped them into our home-made batter. He cooked the fish in batches and we were actually very pleased with the results! The batter was thin and crispy and tasted delicious! Maybe we can do it again!




No comments: