Wednesday 15 April 2020

An encounter with a sheep...

Day 23

Keith went shopping early this morning and bought enough food and essentials to last us over the weekend and into next week. When he returned and we'd put everything away, I went over to Mum's to pick up her shopping list. She still wasn't feeling great but I hoped that by doing her shopping I could cheer her up a bit.

Tesco was nowhere near as bad as I'd imagined it would be. Keith said that he'd been told by his checkout lady to "stay behind the line!". When he said that he was, she asked him to move the whole trolley behind the line! I read an article in the paper today and the word "Covidstasi" was mentioned - a totally new word but somehow apt for this horrible and very trying time in our lives. I totally understand that we all have to keep two metres away from everyone else and respect these new rules, but I suspect there are some people who take real enjoyment in barking orders at other people, now that they have the power to do so.

Anyway, my shopping trip was fine and I managed to get everything my parents needed. When I took it all back, the lunchtime carer was there so that made me feel a bit better. I took away a pile of ironing for my Mum to try and make her sit and relax a bit more. I just hope it works!

It's been another beautiful day today and I find it truly ironic that we've had such a horrible, wet and rainy winter followed by this gorgeous Spring, in which none of us can go out and really enjoy ourselves. It must be hell on earth for people trapped in flats in cities and towns whose only escape would be parks which have all been closed. Somehow, this continuing good weather is almost like a cruel joke that's been played on us.

I mooched about all afternoon, feeling a bit dispirited and restless. Towards the end of the afternoon I decided to watch a film on Amazon Prime but that just made me feel sleepy so I had a nap, next to Keith who was also asleep. Tomorrow I am not going to let this happen! I have a list of things that need doing (most of them boring but they must be done!) and I'm not going to let myself slide into this lethargy.

Sophie dragged me out for a walk after she finished work and I'm glad she did. We walked into the village and then back through the sheep field. I am convinced the sheep are getting used to us (or maybe loads of people are doing the same walk) and one of the sheep mums came right up to me and nuzzled my fingers before running off! It's the closest I've ever been to a sheep!




Back home we delayed dinner for a while and Sophie and I watched the excellent and very entertaining Gordon, Gino and Fred: Road Trip, set in the USA. It was hilarious and really made us feel better! The next episode comes from San Francisco and Napa so that might be one to keep!

No comments: