Wednesday 25 September 2019

Return to Mallorca! 19-25 September 2019

Homeward bound

I lay in bed this morning dreading getting up as I was not looking forward to the journey home. I hadn't had a good night's sleep (the suckling pig seemed to have trebled again in my tummy) and I just wanted to wrinkle my nose and be home. I wonder if that will ever happen in the future, when we could just teleport ourselves without all the hassle of travel?

Anyway, we were all up at 6am and we did the very last of the packing and making sure we hadn't left anything behind. Keith and I went to get the car and I was amazed at how dark it was. Somehow I had imagined that we would be leaving in the sunlight, but it was still pitch black.

Keith took some rubbish and recycling to the bins while I carefully manoeuvred the car out of its parking space. The windscreens were all misted up and I dreaded hitting anything! We drove back and met the children who had been checking the luggage and weighing the case. It was a bit over so they'd transferred some clothes at the last minute!

We set off at exactly 7am and looked in vain for a post box so Sophie could post a card to her friend in Leeds! We didn't see one so we gave up and headed off towards Inca and the motorway.

Luckily, as the morning wore on it became lighter and by the time we were halfway to Palma it was daylight. Google maps warned us of a hold up ahead and I suppose it was the morning commuter rush hour. Not much changes wherever you are in the world!

We were soon directed to turn off the motorway and onto another dual carriageway that ran towards the airport. I was very thankful for Google maps and the directions took us straight to the road where the Hiper rental office was. We turned right and called into a petrol station to re-fill the tank. It cost us just under 20 euros so we hadn't used that much at all.

At just after 8am we returned the car and it was checked over. We had a short wait for the shuttle bus to take us to the airport and then we joined the throngs of people at the easyJet bag drop. The people in front of us were going to Berlin...we were tempted to go with them!

Once we had dropped off the case (it weighed exactly 23kg) we passed through security and looked for something to eat. I was desperate for a coffee and Sophie and Mike went off to get us some breakfast. We ate a soggy chicken sandwich accompanied by a grim coffee and just had enough time to get to the departure gate. There was no time to look in the Duty Free, which was a real shame.

The flight home was uneventful and I read the entire way. All too soon we had arrived at Stansted and after getting our case (thankfully the Gin bottle was still intact) we boarded the shuttle bus to take us to the car park. It seemed incredible that our long-awaited holiday was over, but it had been fantastic and I fell in love with Mallorca all over again!

No comments: