Sunday 29 April 2018

Retail therapy?

We awoke to another grey day this morning with little promise of sunshine or warmth. It's the first thing I do every morning, actually! I pull back the curtains to see what the weather's like and I have a broad smile on my face if I see blue skies and the sun!

Mike seemed much better this morning. He ate dinner with us last night which he hadn't done for a couple of days, preferring to exist on ice-cream smoothies and tomato soup. It reminded me of when I had repeated bouts of tonsillitis as a child and in the end I had my tonsils removed, something they don't seem to do these days. We asked him if he wanted to come out to the shops with us but he declined. I don't blame him!

Keith, Sophie and I went down to B&Q in town to look at curtains, paint and lampshades for Sophie's room. As expected, the roads around the retail parks were crowded and this is why I like having Tuesday and Wednesday mornings off as we can go then and avoid the hordes of people! Sophie spotted a lampshade she liked but it looked like a sample so we decided to look elsewhere. She bought two sample pots of Dulux paint and a photograph frame and that was it! We looked at blinds for Mike's room, as he hasn't got one up at his front window so his room gets the full sun every morning, but they all had to be cut, something Keith's not keen on doing!

From B&Q we went to Dunelm, a store I'm not really a fan of. It was packed with people all looking confused about what they were buying and I have to say we felt the same! We looked at lampshades first (along with crowds of other people) and Sophie finally picked a copper coloured one that will go well with her quilt cover and other furnishings. We then went on the hunt for curtains and inspected every colour you could think of, finally settling on some warm stone coloured curtains that cost Sophie £75, a price she wasn't really expecting! Last time we re-decorated her room we paid for everything so she's had a bit of a shock!

I bought Mike a black-out blind that will need cutting but I'll help Keith with it. It was either that or nothing and he badly needs something to keep the early morning sun out of his room. We drove home via the Tesco garage as I needed some diesel, and made sandwiches and cups of tea to recover from the retail shock!

After lunch Sophie and I started preparing dinner. We'd decided to cook satay chicken from an old recipe book I have dating from 1992! We had to cut up the chicken breasts and marinate them in a concoction of ingredients including soy sauce, garlic, curry powder and coconut milk. The kitchen smelt delicious! We then ground up a huge amount of peanuts in my new pestle and mortar, and I assembled the rest of the ingredients, namely more curry powder, chilli powder, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, lemon juice and onions.

To finish we cooked some rice as we're serving the chicken with egg fried rice and the proper way to do it is to wait for it to cool so it doesn't stick. We've decided to cook something different every Sunday and we wrote in the diary what we're doing up until Father's Day in June. Some of the recipes are from the excellent Hairy Bikers Chicken and Egg book and TV series from 2016, and we've been wanting to cook them ever since I bought it!


No comments: