Wednesday 18 April 2018

A quick shopping trip!

Today dawned sunny and warm - Spring has arrived! Or maybe we've gone straight into summer!

Sophie and I went to Rushden Lakes this morning as my daughter had some vouchers to spend and she wanted to get a pair of black jeans. We decided to have a coffee in Jamaica Blue rather than going to our trusted Costa and I'm not sure we will go back, to be honest. Customers are asked to order at the counter and we were met with a friendly girl who took my order for a Flat White. We made our way to the counter and chose a couple of cakes to go with our drinks and Sophie ordered an iced coffee. The girl, who literally minutes before, had taken my order for a Flat White seemed to have forgotten about it and asked if we just wanted one drink!

Sophie paid for the drinks and cakes which came to £11 and we found a seat, albeit not the one we'd pointed out as it was like sitting in a wind tunnel! We waited for our drinks and were surprised to see lots of other people having drinks and food delivered to their tables. Why not offer table service then? we mused, as you don't get your food straight away and have to wait anyway!

When our order did arrive the food was fine but I still prefer Costa's coffee. I had a wedge of blueberry "scone" served with clotted cream and lemon curd while Sophie had a warmed slice of banana loaf served with butter. We found it all a bit disjointed and the meals were expensive compared to Bill's next door. Next time we're going to try Bewitched Coffee so we'll see what that's like! It's just a shame there isn't an independent coffee shop to choose at the retail park!

Sophie bought some jewellery in Accesorize and we paid £1 to choose a lucky dip prize, ending up with two little tins of sweets! After a quick look in House of Fraser we went to River Island where Sophie tried on a Graduation dress and a pair of skinny black jeans. The dress was OK but looked cheap so that was rejected by both of us.

I popped into Boots before we left as I wanted to get some bits to make my feet look a bit better now that I'll be swapping to sandals for the rest of the week! I'm not sure I'm going to trust this weather completely as it could be freezing again next week, but it will be nice to jettison the boots for cooler sandals!

Back home I decided to make the most of the fine weather by washing Sophie's car and Keith came out for a chat. It really was a glorious day with not a cloud in the sky and temperatures of around 23c. It's due to get hotter tomorrow with highs of 27c predicted. That's too warm for Spring!

We spent the entire session at school out in the playground which was lovely!

No comments: