Sunday 1 April 2018

An Easter Sunday walk

Unfortunately, even though today was supposed to be the driest day of the weekend, it was still dismal and grey with a spattering of rain first thing. It didn't put us off going for a walk as planned, though, and we walked down to the village to see the alpacas.

Keith and I didn't have our walking boots on but Sophie had her trainers on and couldn't understand why we hadn't worn proper footwear as the fields were really muddy. We took a bit of a detour to avoid a mud bath around a stile and made our way over the sodden fields to the alpacas, who were all gathered at the far end of a meadow, watching some dogs who were being walked by their owners.

On the way we slipped and slid all over the place and Sophie ended up on her bum! Rather than treat her sympathetically, we laughed hysterically, which wasn't quite the reaction she was hoping for!


Sadly, the alpacas weren't very friendly and all attempts to stroke them were met with a tossing of the head and a kind of grunt.


They looked as muddy and dishevelled as we did! We spotted a gate leading onto the road and made for it but between it and us was a large area of very wet field. Keith had the best solution - he used the gate as a way of keeping his feet dry!


Sophie and I tried to find another way but we gave up and had to follow his example. I was scared I was going to fall backwards and take an impromptu swim in the muddy water!

Safely back on the road, we walked through the cemetery before making our way over a short section of the fields and back into the village. It was lovely to get home, make a cup of tea and treat myself to some of the Easter egg that Keith had bought for me while reading the Sunday papers!

To work off the chocolate I cut back our Hypericum bush at the front of the house in the afternoon. It looked terrible after all the cold weather we've had so I cut it down and it looked much neater and healthier. Paul and Sue came and said hello with their dogs and I was just glad that Sue didn't tell me off for pruning the shrub - she did say I could do it over the Easter weekend!

I gathered up all the branches I'd cut down and was delighted to see the robin hopping about looking for worms in the soil I'd cleared. He kept looking at me as if to say, "Dig some more soil over then!"

After my efforts in the garden I had a lovely hot bath and then it was almost time to pick up Mike from work. It's so lovely waiting for him in the daylight as the place he works can be so dark in the winter...and very creepy!

Dinner tonight was my favourite - cold meats, salad, new potatoes and little nibbly foods such as pork pie, Scotch eggs and quiche. Delicious!

No comments: