Saturday 7 April 2018

A spot of gardening.

I was able, at last, to get out into the garden today and mow the lawn. The weather wasn't perfect but it was mild enough for me to go out wearing a tee-shirt rather than a coat, and I did get to sit on our seat for a while and watch the robin looking for worms.

I mowed the lawn (I fear our lawnmower is on its last legs) and tidied up half of the border, taking out some plants that have run riot and which I don't particularly like. The robin was always with me, finding little worms in the soil and keeping a close eye on what I was doing.

I now feel ready to buy some violas or pansies to add a splash of colour as our garden just seems to be shades of brown and green. Sophie has suggested painting the fence to break it up a bit so I will investigate some different paints to brighten it up. We saw the sun a little bit today but on the whole it's been overcast although the milder temperatures have been welcome!

Keith went to see Sileby play and Mike was at work so it was just Sophie and I at home in the afternoon. She made us a small Margarita while we indulged in a couple of episodes of The Middle which we have on DVD.

I went and had a long soak in the bath and asked Keith to go and get Mike from work. He left at just before 6pm but Mike was very late and they didn't get home until almost 7pm which was a pain as Mum and Dad were coming around for dinner. Sophie and I had started a big pan of Paella and she looked after it while I sat and chatted to my parents.

The meal was a success and although I was originally planning to do it again next week for our Wine Evening, I've changed my mind as it needs constant supervision. I would also need to cook two pans as Michelle is vegetarian so I've decided to put on a buffet instead! It'll be much easier!

After we'd eaten and finished off our meal with a slice of ice-cream cake we caught up with Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway, something we don't normally watch, but it was coming from Universal in Florida. It was a real treat to see the Florida sky and wish we were there too!

No comments: