Tuesday 6 March 2018

Celebrating 30 years!

Keith and I have been together 30 years today, something I can't quite get my head around! I think it's an achievement to be honest, as our age gap is unusual and we've certainly had our fair share of worries and ups and downs!

We took Mike to college this morning and made our usual trek over to the Weston Favell Centre to get some shopping. I bought two trays of fairy cakes and some decorations as it's also Lisa's birthday today and I thought it would be nice for the children to decorate a cake for her, and one for themselves, to celebrate her birthday. The shopping centre was full of Mother's Day cards and presents so I suggested we go to Wyevale Garden Centre for a coffee and to have a look around.

The place was quite busy and after enjoying a coffee and a cornflake cake in the Costa there, we had a wander about. I saw some nice pots outside but I wasn't that impressed with them so we had a look inside. We made a visit to the pet store and marvelled at the grasshoppers and other insecty things that were on sale to feed lizards and other reptiles. There is no way I could handle some of the larger insects! It was bad enough when I had to feed crickets to next door's gecko!

I didn't see anything that really struck me at the garden centre so we left to go home and discovered there'd been a power cut while we were out. We had some lunch and sat around the table reading the paper and doing crosswords. I received a letter in the post from Audi saying my car has been recalled due to a heating fault so I booked it in to the Vindis dealership in Northampton and ordered a courtesy car...I wonder what I'll get! Knowing my luck I'll get an A1 when what I'd really like is an A6 estate!

The power came back on and then went off again so it was very hard for Sophie to do any work as she relies on the internet. It came back just as I went off to the school and they had been fine. We took the children out into the playground for a while and then went back in to decorate the cakes. I'd bought some liquid icing and hundreds and thousands and there were literally hundreds and thousands of little sugar balls all over the floor when they'd finished! They thought it was a good idea to coat their lips with icing sugar and then press their mouths to the plate and cover them with the decorations! However, the cakes for Lisa and her family did look good!


It was Parents' evening tonight so we had a lot of people wandering about. I hoovered up all the mess in the hall and wiped down the table and then went out into the sunshine as the children had gone back outside to play. We were at work until 6pm as the parents of two of our children had appointments for later in the evening. I sped home as Keith and I were going out for a meal at The Whyte Melville in Boughton to celebrate the anniversary of our first date in Brighton.

I had a quick wash and brush up and we drove over to the pub to find it empty. I had wanted to book a table but this time Keith was right in not bothering! I sampled a Warner Edwards Rhubarb Gin and Ginger Ale while Keith enjoyed a few pints. We shared a starter of breads served with olives, salt and pepper and balsamic vinegar and then followed this up with haddock and chips (Keith) and steak and chips for me. The food was very good, the service impeccable and the pub lovely and quiet. We skipped dessert and drove back to our local for a last drink where we had a great chat with Ian, the Landlord and another villager who we'd known for years. It made a great end to a busy, but enjoyable day!

No comments: