Wednesday 14 March 2018

A lazier start!

It was great to have a bit of a lie-in this morning as Sophie didn't have to be at uni until 10am. After dropping her off I went to the Weston Favell Centre to buy ingredients for tonight's dinner - breaded pork escalopes. I bought the pork, some golden breadcrumbs and pine nuts to add to them, plus new potatoes and a mushroom sauce.

Back home our smart meter was being fitted and it was quite alarming to see the electricity usage being measured on little coloured bands. If they were green then it wasn't too bad, but switch the kettle or the iron on, and it shot into amber. Luckily I never saw it go into the red zone but it will make us think carefully about how we use our electricity from now on!

I went back to get Sophie and before going to school she helped me change my bed, putting on the new sheet I'd bought and using the pillows which I'd ordered from M&S using my gift voucher. They were fat pillows stuffed with duck feather and down and they looked great on the bed.

Work was fine and we managed to get out again for a short while. It was nice to get home and all three of us prepared dinner which was delicious. Adding the pine nuts to the breadcrumb mix definitely gave it a bit more texture and crunch and we'll cook this again as it was so easy to prepare and lovely to eat.

No sooner had we eaten than it was time to drive back down to Luton to pick up Mike and his mates. I'd been in touch with him on Messenger so I knew he was still alive and hadn't fallen into a canal, and I asked him to text me when his flight landed, at around 9pm. Sophie came with me and we had a good journey down with no hold-ups.

Unfortunately, our good luck ended when I decided to park in the multi-storey rather than wait for him in the drop-off zone (£3 for 10 minutes and £1 a minute thereafter). However, the multi-storey looked busy so I carried on, forgetting that to get back out you had to go through the barrier and pay £3...so it cost me that to just drive around the road!

As Mike and his friends weren't through passport control yet I had no option but to go back and park in the multi-storey which was packed. We finally found a space on level 2 and we dashed off to the terminal where they were waiting for us, all three of them looking like they were attending a funeral! At first I thought they'd fallen out but Mike assured me they were all just exhausted. He said Amsterdam had been very expensive indeed and that taxis to and from the airport had added about 50 euros to his expenditure, something he hadn't really thought about. Welcome to the real world, Mikey!

We headed back to the M1 and were really dismayed to see the motorway at a standstill, with a wall of lorries in the inside lane. We waited ages to join the traffic and then crawled for the next 45 minutes as all three lanes of the busy M1 became just one. We were warned there was a workforce in the road but all we saw was a van and a couple of blokes milling about, while all around them was chaos!

We eventually dropped Will and Libby off at 11pm and made it home just after. I was very tired and not looking forward to the prospect of getting up at 6.30am in the morning for work!

No comments: