Saturday 24 March 2018

A change of plan...

We awoke to a grey, horrible day which reflected our mood a bit because Sophie heard this morning that she didn't get the job she went for on Wednesday, and which she really wanted.

Understandably she was very upset but Keith and I both urged her to use the interview as a learning experience that will prepare her for others she'll have to go through in the future. Unfortunately, competition for jobs is tough at the moment and I know her friends have also been disappointed in their search for a career after uni. However, it was horrible seeing her so upset and knowing that there was nothing we could do about it.

After dropping her off at work and popping to Tesco, I spent the day catching up with jobs as last week was so full on and I didn't have any spare time at all! The weather remained grey and dismal all day and I picked Sophie up a bit earlier as she was supposed to be going out with friends in the evening, but she changed her plans and decided to stay at home as she didn't feel like going out on the razzle. I was relieved (selfishly) as she wanted me to drop her off in town and then pick her up at midnight so I suggested a Chinese takeaway and a cocktail to cheer her up.

She drove to Broughton and we bought some limes in the Co-op and also took a menu from the Chinese takeaway in the village as we have decided to stop using our local van as it's so hit and miss! Back home I jumped in the bath because, as well as the day being dismal, it was also cold!

Sophie chatted to me while I was in the bath and said she wished we could have our meal delivered so we decided to use a delivery service from Brixworth instead. Bliss! Now we didn't have to go back out and could enjoy a cocktail before dinner!

We ordered our food and while Keith watched the rugby (Newcastle v Northampton) Mike, Sophie and I played cards in the conservatory and us girls sipped Margaritas while Mike had a beer. It was a really lovely evening as my two seem to be back on good terms again and Sophie regaled us with stories of parties she'd been to when she was younger! The food arrived and we kept it warm in the oven until the rugby finished and we'd played our games.

The food was actually delicious and just as good at the van so that was a relief. Perhaps we'll use them more often in the future. Being out in the sticks means that we hardly ever get any restaurants that deliver, which is always a luxury! We certainly can't get pizza delivered here!

After dinner Sophie and I watched "The Truth About Cats and Dogs" which is one of my favourite films. It was a good end to a changeable day!


No comments: