Tuesday 20 March 2018

An evening out.

I was in at work at 10am this morning and doing a job for Sheila that, although complicated at first, was simple enough once I'd worked out the correct procedure! The time went past very quickly and it was interesting to be on the other side of the office and hear my colleagues answer the phones. I didn't realise how much you can hear!

Sophie and Keith picked me up and we whizzed off home for a few minutes before I went to the school. Today was great as we had a very early finish at 5.30pm and this was a bonus as Sophie and I were out in the evening to see I, Tonya at the Errol Flynn.

Before we saw the film we had dinner at Akasaka in Castilian Street. The restaurant only had one other table occupied so it did make us wonder how it survives, unless it's busier at the weekend. We had a delicious meal and I started with crispy fried squid served with a chilli sauce, while Sophie enjoyed Yaki Gyoza, fried dumplings filled with chicken. She tried one of my crispy squid bites and said she liked it!

For our main course we both had the chicken Katsu curry (spicy) served with stodgy rice, a salad garnish and a delicious curry sauce. I started off with chopsticks, but soon moved onto a fork! Sophie paid as it was a treat for Mother's Day and we decided to have a drink in John Franklin's before the film started.

We like the bar but we've noticed that the service levels have dropped a bit lately and tonight was no exception. If people just want a quick drink before seeing a show or a film, they could be in for a shock as there's a distinct lack of staff! I paid £11 for two glasses of Pinot Grigio (I could buy a bottle of one of our favourites in Aldi for £5.69!) and we enjoyed these before the film started at 8.30pm.

Both of us enjoyed the film (despite the person behind us rustling a sweet packet loudly during the opening scenes - once Sophie and I had glared at them, they stopped) but we felt that the woman who played Tonya Harding's mother didn't really warrant her Oscar for Best Supporting Actress. It was a good part but she wasn't on the screen for that long and mostly smoked, drank whisky and hit her daughter! I don't remember the event itself at the 1994 Winter Olympics but it was a great film and we both liked the soundtrack and seeing the late 80s/early 90s fashions that I grew up with!

We were out and into the car at about 10.30pm and then it was straight home to bed as we had a very early start in the morning!


No comments: