Friday 13 October 2017

Feeling annoyed!

I arrived at work this morning and was the first in the office so I went back to reception and chatted with the girl there (the same one I worked with on Monday) until another member of staff arrived. She had been roped into doing some training earlier in the week and she agreed with me about the amount of stuff there is to learn when you're answering the phones. She said she'd found it quite daunting as well - and she's a lot younger than me and has worked for the company for a number of years!

As I feared I was left to answer the phones myself this morning and although there were two other members of staff nearby I felt that I wasn't quite ready to go it alone, especially as I still had so much to learn. The last thing I wanted was to be constantly asking for help when they were busy as well! I think that Sheila realised I wasn't very happy as she asked one of the women to stop taking calls and be available to help me out.

Some of the phone calls I was able to deal with on my own, but I was very annoyed that I'd been thrown in at the deep end without any proper training. I had hoped I'd be shadowing someone for at least a couple of days before taking calls! Again, we had quite a few complicated queries, and the most popular subject seems to be moving children from one swimming lesson to another. I hadn't been given the log in for this particular part of the computer which made the job a little harder!

Sheila then gave me another load of stuff to learn as she showed me how to access my own personal email and the way I needed to record the hours I'd worked. Each part of the system needed a different password and these could change after 30 days, 60 days or longer. Argh!

I was hugely relieved when 2pm came and I could escape! The manager had arrived in a huge flurry at midday and had had the loudest coughing fit I'd ever heard. Plus, she had an extremely loud voice and with the other woman working on the phone, who was also very vocal (on the phone and off), it hadn't been the most enjoyable of mornings!

Of course, Keith really did not want to hear me moaning on about the job so we had an uncomfortable journey home where I hurriedly made myself a sandwich before going to my other job. This was a quiet session and we only had five children booked, and two of them belonged to Lisa! We went outside to make the most of the lovely weather and spent the last hour in the library looking at all the different books.

I popped home after the session ended and Keith and I went to get Sophie from work together. He had thawed a bit towards me, but I gave Sophie the full account of my time so he heard it all over again, but in a bit more detail!

Dinner tonight was very easy - fish and chips from Broughton - and it was great not to have to go and pick Keith up from the pub as he was abstaining from alcohol again. He had bought me a bottle of Russian Standard Vodka, plus some delicious Fever Tree Mediterranean tonic so I was more than happy...for now anyway!

No comments: