Saturday 7 October 2017

A trip through the Mediterranean.

After dropping Sophie off at work, and then taking Mike (he's doing an extra shift today) I knuckled down to some housework! I stripped my bed completely (I even took the valance off) and while it was all washing, I tackled the kitchen drawers which badly needed some TLC!

It felt good to do something that would last longer than a few hours, which is what happens when I do normal housework! I washed all the cutlery and the tray (filthy) and carried on with the rest of the drawers, including the dreaded bottom one which holds everything we don't know what to do with including curtain hooks, safety pins, batteries, shoe laces and a host of other bits and bobs. Now it's all tidy, an immensely satisfying feeling!

Before putting all the bedding back Keith and I pulled our big heavy bed away from the wall and I gasped in shock at all the dust and cobwebs that had gathered behind it! I am so slovenly! I hoovered the bed itself and the carpet and put fresh bedding on...wonderful! It smelt lovely! I then hoovered all through the house before rewarding myself with a bath as we are out tonight at Sue and Paul's for the wine night - a trip through the Mediterranean.

I went to get Mike and Sophie and the threatened rain arrived. Before picking up Soph I bought Sue some flowers and chocolates and while I was out Keith drove to the village to pick up a takeaway from the van for the kids.

As soon as we were home I dashed off to get ready while Soph and Mike ate their dinner, which smelt delicious! I have to say I was a bit envious but I was looking forward to going out for the evening.

We were the first to arrive although I had told Sue we might be late as Sophie doesn't usually finish work until 6.30pm. The dogs were in a boisterous mood and Sue and Paul chuckled about the "beer for dogs"! Richard and Michelle arrived and we were given glasses of Prosecco to drink before our starter of cold meats, prawn cocktail and olives served with rustic bread.

We started on our whites and we all preferred the more expensive Viognier although I couldn't really tell the difference between the two. Our main course was lasagne, served with salad and roasted potatoes and we drank two bottles of Italian Rose wine that Sue and Paul had chosen. One was a deeper colour than the other but other than that there really wasn't much difference!

We finished with the Riojas that Richard and Michelle had brought with them and we all definitely preferred the wine from Waitrose rather than the Aldi offering. It was a lovely evening with lots of chat and laughter and our meal ended with a choice of either lemon torte or profiteroles served with cream. I didn't want to have too much to drink as Sophie and I are off to Althorp tomorrow for the Literary Festival and I certainly didn't want to have a sore head!


No comments: