Monday 16 October 2017

A red sun!

I have to be honest in that I was dreading today at work, but it was actually better than I thought. Sara was back and sat behind me so if I had any queries, I could ask her. Apart from one extremely moany parent whinging about swimming lessons (first world problems!) the morning passed very well and at 2pm I left to pick up Sophie from uni.

When I emerged into the early afternoon, the sky was a very strange colour with a peachy, pinky haze. Sophie jumped into the car and asked if I'd seen the sun...it was red! The strange sky was due to ex-Hurricane Ophelia picking up dust from the Sahara and smoke from fires on the Iberian peninsula and throwing them high up in the atmosphere, changing the hue of the sun and making everything that weird colour!

It was a windy afternoon with leaves being blown about everywhere and at school, despite the weather, we went out into the playground. I took a photo of the sun, but it wasn't brilliant!


While the children were out playing, the skies suddenly cleared and our lovely sun reverted back to normal, i.e. yellow and so bright we could no longer look at it! The sky turned back to blue but the wind continued to strengthen and it was a real Autumnal day.

We finished our after school session in the cosy library playing cards and by 5.30pm all the children had gone. We had far fewer than normal as some of the children are on holiday and it's a gradual wind-down for half-term next week.

We had pizza for dinner before going off to the cinema again to see Wind River. It was a great film but the mumbling from the main actor, Jeremy Renner, was a pain and I'll look forward to seeing it again with subtitles!


No comments: