Friday 22 May 2015

Out with the old...

I took today off work as our new sofa and armchairs were due to be delivered this morning, between 8am and 8.30am (DFS have been great with keeping us updated about the delivery) and I needed to help Keith move the old three-seater sofa into the garage - no easy task, let me assure you!

We had to ask Mike for help in the end (despite his bad back) and with a bit of effort we managed to manhandle the heavy piece of furniture out of the back door and push it into the garage along with the two-seater and the armchair. They'll have to sit in there until the council come along and collect them next week.

I took Mike to school and when I arrived back the DFS lorry was just pulling away from the front of our house.The sofa and armchairs were in and in place, making the room look a lot bigger. It means we can open the double doors leading out into the study area and the room now looks less like a waiting room! The cushions were a little hard to sit on but we had been warned about that and told that they will soften over time.

We decided to all go out today - I needed to post something that I'd sold on ebay, we wanted to check out curtains and we also had to go to the postal collection centre as Sophie's planner had arrived from the US and she needed to pay a customs charge on it, poor thing!

From Dunhelm we went to Market Harborough and on the way became caught behind an extremely slow moving steam engine. There's a big fair on at Lamport this weekend so no doubt this won't be the last time we find something belching out black smoke in front of us and crawling along at 1mph!

We had lunch at Pizza Express in Market Harborough and I have to say there was nothing speedy about the service! We ordered some dough balls with dips to start and a couple of pizzas to share but our main courses took ages to arrive and we nearly ended up with another...the waitress was a little ditzy!

After lunch we had a quick look around the shops but as Keith was with us we didn't linger like we normally do. On the way home we called into the Buddhist centre in Kelmarsh to enquire about meditation classes and spoke to a lovely woman who gave us the information we needed. There was some sort of Spring Festival going on so the cafe was closed but we were still full from lunch anyway.

Back home I made a start on the gardening. I mowed the front verge and cleared away loads of weeds from the soil behind the bushes. They've all grown madly lately and are closing in on each other nicely. Soon, there weren't be any bare soil to weed!

In the back garden I mowed the lawn, strimmed the edges and then started to dig over the border by the fence. To my delight the little robin made an appearance and started looking for worms in the soil I'd turned over. He was completely fearless of me, moving closer and closer until he was right next to my feet. I stood very still and chatted away to him as he searched for juicy worms.

I finished in the garden at about 6pm and was really pleased with the progress I'd made. It all looked so much neater - it's amazing what a little work will do!

No comments: