Sunday 10 November 2013

Lest we forget...

This morning Keith and I attended a Remembrance service in Pitsford along with Mikey who was there representing the Army Cadets. It was the first time we'd ever been to a service and I found it very moving, especially as so many people turned out to remember all those who lost their lives in conflict over the years.

The service started when we all gathered around the flag pole in the middle of the village. It felt a little strange as Pitsford isn't our village but we saw quite a few people who didn't live in the village and I can only presume that certain detachments go to different villages.

When the Last Post was played on the bugle, I have to admit to shedding a few tears. Thinking about the brave people (and animals) who gave their lives always makes me feel a bit emotional and today was even more so! From the flag pole we walked en masse to the church and then the wreaths were laid at the war memorial after we had the two minute silence.



Luckily it was the most perfect Autumn day - cold but sunny and bright - and we were so glad it wasn't like yesterday. After the laying of the wreaths we all trooped into the church for the service of hymns, readings and prayers. I was so glad we decided to go and it was great to see Mikey and his comrades in full uniform, and also all the other Scout groups.

It was gone midday by the time we got back to the car and then it was home for a quick lunch before Sophie and I went to the gym for a swim and a dip in the jacuzzi. I treated her to a panini in the cafe and then it was home to wash my filthy car! It's a lot bigger to clean than the A1 and I think I'll have to get some step ladders out to wash the roof!

No comments: