Saturday 5 January 2013

New Year clear-out!

After a little lie-in (I like being up by 8.30am at the weekend!) and a cup of coffee, it was time to take down the Christmas decorations. It was sad taking down the lights as at this bleak time of year we all need cheering up!

I took down the tree and all the cards and put them away for next year, which will be here before we know it! After a breakfast of tomatoes, bacon and crusty bread I washed both cars and then Keith and I tackled all the dead bedding plants that were still languishing in our hanging baskets and tubs. I also raked up a lot of leaves that were covering the lawn and afterwards I felt great for spending a couple of hours in the fresh air. It was a lovely mild morning with the sun breaking through every now and again and at one point I actually sat on our seat in the garden and felt the sun on my face! There is always a danger in this as we are lulled into a false sense of security by thinking an early Spring is on the cards and then the temperatures plunge and we get a load of snow!

I spent the afternoon clearing out the drawers in our study and throwing out a lot of old papers and cards that we had kept (for some unknown reason). Again, it felt really good to have a clear out and make some space!

Just before sunset Sophie and I drove to a nearby vantage point and took some photos of the sunset and the winter fields. Although the temperature was around 9 degrees the wind made it feel a lot colder so it was great to get back into the car and turn the heating on!

Sophie is at a Winter Ball tonight so excitement is running high in the house as she gets ready. I'm chief taxi driver again and, like Cinderella, her coach will await her at midnight!

No comments: