Tuesday 1 January 2013

A journey through the Shires

Last night Sophie had some friends around for a small "gathering" as she called it and although there was a fair bit of alcohol involved, I was very impressed with their behaviour! There were seven of them in total, three girls and four boys, but we kept them contained in the conservatory and by 1am it was all over. Keith and I had a very quiet New Year's Eve sitting in our living room and watching TV but we did open a bottle of Cava at midnight and Mikey was first footer. Let's hope he brings us luck for 2013!

So, it was a bit of a slow start to the first day of 2013 as Sophie emerged late from her bed, but by midday we were on the road to Broadway in the Cotswolds for lunch and a mooch about the shops. Luckily the weather was beautiful and we were parked in the car park of the Horse and Hounds by 1.30pm. We were even luckier to get a table and had a delicious meal of lamb (Keith and me) steak and ale pie (Mikey) and chicken fajitas for Sophie. We pushed the boat out and had desserts and I was delighted to find they  had the same beer on as last year - Rosey Nosey!

After eating we ambled around the village and I popped into the Edinburgh Woollen Mill to see if I could find another coat to match the one that was taken from me. No luck this year, though, so I just treated myself to a new pair of gloves and some shortcake biscuits and we headed home.

We took a bit of a roundabout route to get home and counted up the Shires we drove through...five in total! Northamptonshire, Leicestershire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire! Shame we didn't see any hobbits!


No comments: