Saturday 4 August 2012

Taking it carefully!

When I picked Sophie up from work this afternoon we went straight to the gym to do our workout. We had been told to pick up our "keys" from the desk in the middle of the gym but nobody was there to help us. As is always the case when I go anywhere new, I made an idiot of myself by mistaking a poor man for a Virgin staff member. Well, he was wearing a red tee-shirt!!

Anyway, somebody soon appeared, so we got our keys and started our work-outs. To be honest I think that mine was far too ambitious as 20 minutes on the cross trainer was never going to work. When the message "High heart rate" flashed up, I became a bit worried so I slowed down and spent the rest of my allotted time on the treadmill. From there we did some weights and then I spent some more time walking. Sophie did brilliantly!


Mum and Dad were at the gym as well but had finished their routines so we said we'd meet them downstairs in the jacuzzi. Sophie and I had a swim and then we spent some time soaking up the warmth in the "saunarium" before having a shower and heading home. Sophie felt fantastic after her workout but I felt like I hadn't pushed myself so when I got home I looked up my optimum heart rate on the internet (20bpm less than I was doing on the cross trainer!) and I'll exercise within that in future. I'm carrying more weight than I should so I need to start off carefully and if I'd carried on as per the Gym instructor's routine I would not have felt well!

We had a very pleasant evening (a delicius dinner and a glass of wine was bliss), settling down to watch the Olympics which I've been enjoying very much, despite me thinking they would be boring. Team GB have had a brilliant day today, winning lots of medals, so we're all very proud!





No comments: