Wednesday 18 September 2024

An expensive day!

We were up and out of the house by 7.45am this morning to take the Golf for a pre-holiday service. Sophie drove me and was in the tetchiest of moods. I am the world's worst passenger and put my foot down on a non-existent brake several times, much to her intense annoyance. After we'd dropped the Golf off at the garage, she threw a wobbler and made me drive her to work. I don't think she was happy about us having to use her car today!

We dropped her off and went home on the scenic route because of the traffic on the A45. Back home, it was time for a coffee, a couple of pastries that I baked and then threw away as they tasted strange, and a few chores before we went to Tesco.

We were shopping for our holiday this morning, as well as some bits for Saturday night and my head was all over the place trying to remember what we needed, even though I'd written a list! I bought some delicious nibbles, a bottle of Cava and a bottle of Porta 6 red wine as our friends have just returned from Portugal. I just about managed to remember to get us something for lunch!

As we came out of Tesco, the garage called to say the Golf was ready... and it would be £450 as it needed new brake discs and pads and had had a full service. It was a bit more than we'd expected, but at least we have peace of mind before we go away!

We returned home, dropped off the shopping and went to collect the car. I was glad it was ready early as I didn't want to use Sophie's car this afternoon for more errands! We had lunch and a cup of tea and I did some more chores before we ventured out again, this time to have a sneaky peek at the Highfields office, and to go to Jones's. Highfields finally got back to us with a quote for four new panes of glass for the conservatory roof and a new pane of glass with a catflap for the door. We've accepted it and the work will hopefully be completed after our holiday.

We drove to where we thought they were but the building was up for let. I'd had a feeling they'd moved and I was proved right when I Googled their new address, which was near Jones's. We tried unsuccessfully to find the office, just to put our minds at rest that they were still operating as before, but we gave up as the road they were situated on was full of cars and forklift trucks!

At Jones's, I ignored all the Christmas decorations and we bought a couple of items for Saturday night - new placemats, a new corkscrew and a salt and pepper pot! From Jones's, we drove through heavy traffic into town where I dropped one of my summer dresses off at a repair shop. They said they'd have it back to me late next week... I hope so!

Our last place to go before picking Sophie up from work was Dobbies garden centre where Keith picked out a new pair of shoes for the holiday at the Pavers outlet. Phew! We have spent a few pennies today! We drove back to Brackmills to collect Sophie and I was amazed at how heavy the traffic was!

Back home, we relaxed and indulged in a Tesco family lasagne, garlic bread and salad. I had a much-needed G&T - I think I deserved it after my busy day!

No comments: