Wednesday 4 September 2024

A somewhat trying day...

I was determined to get some painting done today and started in the cloakroom at 9am. I can't say I enjoyed it; crawling around in a tiny space with my head too near the loo did not make for a pleasant experience!

For some reason, Keith kept hovering over me, which made me annoyed and frustrated. He developed a knack of pointing out bits I'd missed or where the paint was dripping, even though I used non-drip paint! I finished the cloakroom and ordered two sets of new handles for the cloakroom and cupboard doors, both in a satin nickel finish so they should be a better match for the colours we've used. Once that was done, I touched up the paint on the bannisters and turned the bottom wooden ball back to white again! Keith had removed the old, peeling paint so it was great to see it white and glossy again. It will need another coat, though.

I also painted the living room doors white, and using the new paint certainly showed how yellow they were! This seems to be the problem with white gloss paint, it turns yellow over time but you don't notice until you apply new paint!

Keith managed to point out bits of white paint that had splashed onto the blue part of the door (thanks!), so I went back and put it right. By now, I had had enough! Have I told you I loathe painting with a passion and think I may get someone else to do it from now on. I had paint all over my hands and my clothes and I was tired from crawling about on my hands and knees! Another chore I despise is cleaning the brushes afterwards...

After a shower, we went over to Brixworth to send Sophie's parcel, bought some ingredients for tonight's pasta dish, and then drove over to see my Mum and Dad. My Mum was asleep when I went into the room and didn't look her best. I sat with them for a while as Keith was waiting in the car, and asked her if she felt well enough to attend her ear appointment tomorrow. She was a bit hesitant, but I said it was important she went. The visit was a little upsetting if I'm honest. I couldn't get much sense out of either of them and they had lost Netflix again, due to no internet connection. It seems that no matter how much I try and help, it never works out. I felt like I wanted to scream!

On the way home I shed some tears as I told Keith that both of them are just sitting in that room, waiting to die. It makes me all the more determined to enjoy life while we can. 

Back home, I tackled the usual chores and we sat with a cup of tea and compiled the shopping list. I wasn't in the best of moods (if you wondered!) and then I had a rant about the cleaning! Poor Keith just retreated to the living room out of my way! I said that there's always something to do: the cat bowls need picking up and washing, the tumble dryer or the washing machine beeps at us, the kitchen floor needs sweeping and the carpet hoovering, we seem to attract flies and little black things to our white windowsills, which drive me crazy! Leaves gather around our back door and get blown in... I could go on, but even I'm getting fed up writing this!

When Sophie returned home she agreed with me and we discussed getting someone in to do a deep clean maybe once a week. I can't believe that there are just three of us living here and the house gets so dusty and cobwebby. Maybe it's living in the country and being surrounded by fields?

None of us fancied dinner this evening, so we had a lovely end to a trying day by sitting with a drink and having a good chat before enjoying a light supper of cheese on toast/cheese and biscuits/crumpets with Marmite. I think we all need a break from the daily grind and I really can't wait for this trip to Provence to come along!

At 9pm, Sophie and I watched Race Across The World cuddled up with Gomey and the Moon Bums. I'm looking forward to going back to work for a rest tomorrow!

No comments: