Wednesday 3 January 2024

Saying goodbye to Christmas...

Sophie didn't go to the gym this morning, as she had a bad headache, so I managed a little lie-in! She wasn't working from home, though, and I waved her off to work at about 8am.

Keith and I spent the whole day taking down the decorations, boxing them up and cleaning the house. The cats helped us by stripping some of the garlands off the white tree and playing with them, but they seemed as chilled today as when we put them all up in early December. 

Of course, the house looked bare when we'd finished but a lot cleaner and clearer! It was great to be able to get close to the front window again and draw the curtains at night! Yesterday, I did toy with the idea of leaving the trees up and just having the non-Christmas decorations displayed but that's a silly idea, really! At least we still have lights strung along the fireplace and around the wine rack! I also might keep the outside tree lights on as well until the nights start getting lighter.

It was very satisfying to have such a busy and productive day and the house looked lovely when we finished. To celebrate, I sampled the last four of my whiskies this evening and one of them, the Lindores Abbey, was my favourite of the twenty-four I'd tasted. It was like drinking liquid, sweet pear drops and was deliciously smooth. It's about £50 a bottle so I may treat myself after France!

I also liked the Crabbie's Yardhead Single Malt which was sweet, spicy and very drinkable. The Deanston Single Malt was slightly smoky, while the Green Isle Blended Scotch was very peaty indeed, and smelt like liquid Germolene! I like peaty whiskies, but it was too much for me! I was delighted with the Advent Calendar and will miss my evening tipple! It was great to be able to sample so many different whiskies and I hope Keith will do it again for me next year!


No comments: