Friday 17 June 2022

The heat is on!

Today has been hot, hot, hot! The temperature in my car after work stated it was 34c but I always think that's hotter than it actually is. Anyway, it was uncomfortable!

Work was fine but we had a lot of swimming bookings. At about 2pm it really ramped up as if people had had enough of the heat. We don't have any sessions available in our pools between 4pm and 7pm as our swim school is taking place, and people couldn't believe that they were unable to take their children swimming after school!

I suggested an ice cream in the afternoon but Sara insisted on buying them, bless her. It cooled us down for a little bit but our office wasn't so bad. It was getting in the car after my shift that was the problem!

I drove home and tried to cool down by bringing the fan into the living room. Poor Monty was clearly uncomfortable and kept flopping down and looking pained. I would be if I had to wear a fur coat!

Keith went to the pub tonight and we decided to have fish and chips. It was too hot to cook! I think a lot of people had the same idea as the van spent ages in Walgrave. Sophie and I sipped a glass of Rose, the Etna one from Aldi and I thought it was horrible - it reminded me of the apple juice I'd had yesterday! We won't be buying that again!

The van trundled around to us at about 7.15pm and Sophie went to get our meal. She said the man serving was different from normal and was really grumpy. Perhaps he was too hot!

After we'd eaten Keith went upstairs to watch the US Open and Sophie and I revisited the past by watching Tame Impala at Glastonbury from 2019. When I look back on this year, I see it in a beautifully rosy glow. Seeing the masses of people at the festival, and seeing how happy and carefree they were brought tears to my eyes. Who could have dreamed what was ahead of us in the very first year of the new decade? And how bad things are continuing to happen? The pandemic, the war in Ukraine, the huge rise in the cost of living, and even today I learnt that covid cases are on the up again, thanks to two new variants.

It was lovely to sit in the living room with the candles flickering and listen to the music. I'm at work tomorrow but I'm very much looking forward to cooler temperatures!


No comments: