Monday 27 June 2022

A good old moan!

I felt very groggy when Sophie eventually woke me this morning! She said I just wouldn't wake up and I think I was in the middle of a dream!

Mondays roll around far too quickly but it seems as soon as they're over, it's Friday! With Jo and Kathy, I was called into an informal meeting with Sara and Nicola this morning to talk about our jobs and our general feeling of being a bit disgruntled and unhappy.

Nicola said she was trying to get us a pay rise but I don't hold out much hope. Our new MD is as tight as a duck's a***, and she said that with things how they are at the moment with fuel bills (heating our five pools must cost a fortune), our wages are low down on the list of priorities.

We are living in very unsettled times at the moment. We watched a documentary on the 1976 heatwave the other week and the similarities between that year and now were startling! In 1976 there were strikes, inflation was high and the cost of living was soaring. I do hope history is not repeating itself!

Anyway, we had a good old moan in the meeting, and Nicola said she would try and do something with our "wrap", the time we get in between phone calls. Currently, it's 10 seconds, which doesn't give you a lot of time, but she will try and extend it to 20 seconds to enable us to finish what we were doing for the call, or just to munch a bit of sandwich! She also said we could bring back a ten-minute "lunch" break so we could at least have something to eat without talking with our mouths full! At the end of the meeting, she handed us all a £25 voucher to spend on the high street, so it wasn't all bad, and at least they're trying to help!

I said in the meeting that I would be very happy now if I was taken off the phones as the customers are really starting to get me (and all of us) down. Before the pandemic, we would get the odd bad call but now these are becoming far more frequent. Jo and I had two calls from Ukrainian people about our free swimming scheme, and although we have every sympathy for them, they couldn't understand a word we were saying, which made it very difficult for us.

As ever, it was a relief to get into the car and head home. I hoovered and tidied up the kitchen and when Sophie arrived home we watched Wimbledon with a drink. Thankfully, Emma Raducanu and Andy Murray both won!


No comments: