Friday 3 June 2022

Frightful Friday!

Today was certainly not the relaxed end to the week I was hoping for. In fact, it's been one of the worst days at work I can remember, which was a huge shame, as there was just Kathy and myself working and normally it's very relaxed.

Sophie took me to work and then went to the gym. I set everything up in the office and went to get a coffee, and was held up by some of my colleagues querying the time of our afternoon cinema screening. Because it's an official Bank Holiday today, we were closing early and the time of the film reflected that. There had been a problem with the posters and I said that was Marketing's domain! The discussion put me behind a bit, so when the phone lines opened at 9am I wasn't really ready! We had been hoping for a quiet day, but it was not to be. We were rammed with calls and the majority were swimming bookings...

Halfway through the morning, I took a call from one of the staff at another centre who said that tomorrow they would have less staff than they had planned for, and could we reduce the numbers who could book for the swimming sessions? I knew how to do it (or so I thought) so I said I'd sort it out.

We have nine sessions on a Saturday, every half an hour from midday onwards, so I asked Kathy if it was OK if I went off the phone to sort out the numbers. The sessions had been input right up until March 2023 and I did what I thought was correct and reduced the numbers for each session to 30 people.

However, when we both went to check that the sessions were on for next Saturday and after that, they had all disappeared! I had managed to wipe them out for the next ten months! I was horrified and went back onto the page to try and sort it out, managing to make it worse! I then wiped out all the sessions for Saturday even though we already had people booked on!

To cut a horrible story short, I had to call Sheila who very calmly put it right for me. Luckily, the software we use retains anyone booked onto a session so we didn't lose them, but I was mortified that I'd made such a mess of it. It's extremely easy to input sessions onto the system but a little more difficult to edit them, as I have found out!

The calls remained relentless for the whole shift and I was truly grateful we finished at 2pm. I didn't even have time to check my own emails, let alone the customer service ones! I just about managed to do the box office returns in between calls as they had to be sent off to the film distribution companies.

Sophie picked me up and we drove over to Laura's house to feed her two beautiful cats. They looked at us in alarm at first, but gradually became more bold and let us stroke them. I think feeding them helped them to overcome their shyness!

Back home, it was time to relax and enjoy the rest of Friday. Keith went to the pub and Sophie and I sipped a glass of Rose and watched 90 Day Fiance. There was no fish and chip van tonight, because of the Jubilee, so we enjoyed baked potatoes with salad for dinner!


No comments: