Sunday 24 April 2022

Enjoying the sunshine!

I was determined to make the most of the good weather this morning and Keith and I went out to the front garden to cut down our hypericum bush that was very overgrown, and was well on its way to blocking the front windows!

Keith managed to cut it down to a more manageable level while I tidied up the rest of the garden. In between the daffodils I'd planted last Autumn was a blue flowery plant that I didn't recognise, but it had established itself all over the front of the garden. I tried to download a plant identifier app on my phone but they all wanted money! By a stroke of good luck, Sue arrived to drop the dogs off at Paul's and I sought her expert advice. It was forget-me-not:


I was glad we'd decided to tackle the garden but the wind was a constant nuisance and was very strong. Every time I swept up the branches into a heap, the wind blew them all away, and I saw them being taken off down the road! My hair was being blown about all over the place and when we'd finished I felt like I'd been in a wind tunnel for the last hour! 

Keith had done a very good job, though, and the front garden looked a lot tidier. He'd also pruned the bush by the driveway so that was a lot neater too. On Sue's advice I'd pulled up the forget-me-not but I'll have to wait a little while to take out the daffodil leaves.

Sophie went to have tea and cake with Laura in the afternoon and I went to get my Mum. I had said she could come over and go through some of the stuff in the garage and before coming back home I bought a chocolate cake and a bottle of Prosecco to have as a treat.

We sat in the conservatory where it was really warm - it's the blooming wind that's spoiling everything today! She went through a few things in the garage and took home a couple of books and photo albums, as well as some clothes I'd washed and ironed for her, and the rest of the chocolate cake!

We'd decided to barbecue this evening, and Sophie and I started playing Scrabble early so we had plenty of time. We had an Aperol Spritz each and then a Martini Rosso mixed with Prosecco. Lovely summery cocktails! We just need some warmth now!

Keith barbecued while Sophie and I cooked the new potatoes and onions, and made a salad. Keith dressed warmly to cook outside as it was really quite cold!


No comments: