Thursday 19 August 2021

The Novices Handicap Hurdle

Day 23 of kitchen renovation.

We are at last beginning to see the end of our kitchen renovation, and everything should be finished by the weekend, giving us a chance to put all of our stuff back, and resume normality!

Tom and Jordan were working today, finishing off the flooring, plumbing in the dishwasher (yay!), and installing all the bottom plinths. Keith and I had booked to go to Stratford-on-Avon races today and decided to leave at 11am, giving us nearly two hours to get there before the first race at 1pm.

The weather was mixed with a fair amount of cloud, but some sunshine, too. We left the men to it, drove to Mawsley to get some cash, and then headed off along the A14, the M1 and the A46.

We encountered some roadworks around Warwick, and the time was creeping on. I have to say the roads were busy everywhere, probably because it's still the holiday season. As we approached Stratford-on-Avon, the traffic slowed right down and following signs to the racecourse, we crept along at about 5 miles an hour.

The traffic was so bad that we missed the first race, and went into the wrong part of the course in a desperate bid to get there! We followed signs for centre course parking and didn't go in the usual way where we could have picked up our badges and bought a race card. We felt like complete novices (hence my title, as we faced various hurdles!) and wished we'd relied on our instincts to not follow the signs for the racecourse, but drive in a loop around it as we used to years ago.

Predictably, the racecourse was busy with a mix of people in casual clothing (like us) or dressed up to the nines (a lot of women!). We picked our horses for the second race, but mine - Darling Du Large - came second and Keith's was nowhere to be seen!

We had the same sort of luck in the third race! My horse came third and Keith's was last! By now we were both feeling a bit fed up. We didn't have our badges so we couldn't go into the Club Enclosure, which was a pain as there were lovely seats and a great view! I was a bit peckish so Keith treated me to a hot dog which was possibly the most tasteless snack I have ever eaten. I smothered it in a garish yellow mustard and managed to get myself covered in it!

After looking at the horses in the paddock, and having an ice cream, which was delicious, Keith suggested trying to go to the entrance and seeing if we could show our tickets to get the badges. It worked! Several very helpful men came to our aid and gave us the coveted white badges that would give us access to the Club Enclosure. We'd paid £20 each for today so we might as well get the most out of it!



Before taking our seats in the stand we put a bet on our horses - I went for Cracking Destiny on a whim, which was 5/1. I put a fiver on it and hoped for the best!

Imagine my surprise and delight when Cracking Destiny romped home first and won me £25 plus my £5 stake! Keith had backed the favourite, Courtandbould, which was sixth, so although pleased for me, he looked a bit glum.

I didn't have a bet in the 3.15 race but when I went to collect my winnings, I put a £10 each-way bet on for Keith - Two Blondes. Again, it came nowhere, so we decided that the 3.45 race would be our last. I picked Capricia while Keith went for Lawtop Legend. This time we stood by the Parade Ring, right next to where the winner stands after the race and watched the action on the big screen.

This time it was Keith's turn to win and he managed to recoup some of his losses! He was delighted and I'm so glad he had a winner. He normally does well at home with the races so it was great to see him come up trumps today.

The winning horse came right up to where we were standing, and there was a lot of clapping and celebration.



Lawtop Legend ridden by Sam Twiston-Davies




Keith contemplating his next winner!



Lawtop Legend was hosed down with water to cool him off and walked around a lot! I could see his flanks heaving, poor thing, but he still looked bright after the long race.

Keith went to collect his winnings and then we made our way back to the car. I didn't realise how close the track was and I suggested we watch the next race from the car, to see them go by. Keith agreed and while we waited we chatted to a couple who were parked behind us, which was very pleasant. It was now quite warm in the sunshine and I said that the next time we came we should park in the centre and have a picnic!

Very soon the horses appeared and I was astounded to hear two of the jockeys having a conversation! One of them said he hated the next hurdle! On their second circuit, the lead jockey was really shouting at his horse, and this is something I've never experienced before as we usually just stay in the stand while the race is on. It was thrilling!

Although I enjoyed today, there was a small part of me that was still upset about the photos of a trainer sitting on top of a horse that had collapsed and died. I wish I'd never seen the photos, and despite knowing that they are extremely well looked after and given the best treatment, I still have that niggle that it's not right.

We set off for home and followed Google Maps' recommendation to avoid Stratford-on-Avon, Warwick and Leamington Spa. The route took us through some gorgeous countryside, eventually bringing us onto the M6 just before the A14.

However, within minutes of being on the A14, the traffic slowed right down so we turned off and drove through Thornby and Creaton towards Brixworth. Mike was at home and had been sorting out his bedroom so there were a load of clothes at the bottom of the stairs that he was chucking out,

The kitchen was almost finished! The dishwasher was working, the sink and tap all set up, and the bottom plinths in. Everything had been sealed and all they had to do was connect the new hob and the plinth heater. Tom is going to put in the skirting boards tomorrow, and that's it!

Sophie very kindly cooked dinner this evening, but before she did we relaxed with a glass of wine and told her about our day. Outside, it started to rain heavily, which was great as it washed our dusty driveway and car!













No comments: