Friday 6 August 2021

A bit fraught...

Day 10 of kitchen renovation.

The plasterers arrived at 8am this morning so I fled into the shower, and by 8.30am I was ready to go to work. There was no point in me hanging around so I went in early, calling at the garage at Moulton on the way to pick up a coffee and pastry.

Work started off busy, then went quiet, then went mad! I was glad I was able to do the majority of the box office returns before the phones were turned on! A lot of the calls I received today were quite complicated and long, but the time did pass very quickly. As well as the cinema work, I also did a couple of orders, emailed some figures over to the managing director (for the cinema, and a bit worrying as attendance has been low), and kept an eye on the contact centre's emails, as Sara had taken a day's holiday today.

At 4pm I sped home to find more plastering had been done, and the floor had been skimmed ready for the vinyl tiles. We were unable to walk on it for a few hours, which meant we had to go outside to get to the conservatory... A load more stuff had been piled up in the poor room, and our washing machine was standing forlornly on the driveway covered by a cardboard box.

I took Keith to the pub and returned to have a drink with Sophie, which was a long drawn out process in itself! I'm just glad it wasn't raining like last night!

Keith wanted me to pick him up a bit earlier from the pub as John was leaving at 7pm (Dave is still in hospital) so Sophie and I hadn't done anything with our exciting dinner this evening - soup and crusty bread. Things are getting very tight in the conservatory now, and there's really not enough room for us all to try and cook. We attempted to switch the oven on but nothing seemed to be working and then it went off completely, followed by the computer. This meant that something had tripped the switches. 

We sorted this out, managed to work out how to use the oven, and successfully baked the bread, which was delicious. Even though we're all excited about the kitchen, the reality is starting to get to us now because the space is so tight, and there are multiple extension leads everywhere for the appliances that we use on a regular basis. I'm worried about either tripping over on something or having a fire.

It became a bit fraught after dinner, so Sophie took the cat and went upstairs for some peace while Keith and I watched the last episode of Baptiste. One day all this will be a distant memory and we'll be enjoying our new kitchen! Let's hope it's sooner rather than later!


No comments: