Thursday 12 August 2021

Sad news.

Day 16 of kitchen renovation.

Keith's friend Dave died yesterday, and we found out this morning. It's very sad, and although we knew he was very ill, we didn't expect it to happen so soon. I really feel for his son, Josh, who only lost his mum a few months ago.

I was at work today at 8am, catching up with all of the cinema admin, my own emails, and doing some work for Sara. The time passed extremely quickly, and it was lovely to be off the phones!

At 2pm I sped home to find all the workmen on our drive looking at one of the worktops which they were attempting to cut in a curved way to match the cupboards. I don't think Tom, the kitchen fitter, was very happy...

As I needed diesel and had forgotten to get it on the way home, I fled in case anyone started shouting at me! On the way to get Mike, I bought two bottles of good wine for Pete, the electrician, as he had helped us out by lending us the oven (invaluable) and had gone over and above what we were expecting in terms of the electrics.

I picked Mike up from work (the last time I will ever do so) and he wanted a haircut... I knew that the extra hours I had today would be spent doing menial things! Luckily, he wasn't long and I was home at 4pm, only half an hour earlier than usual!

Today, the new stable door has been fitted, the oven is in and things are really progressing!


One of the pendant lights - matches my favourite Gin glass!



One of the new bar stools. The worktop still needs work!

I am so pleased with the stable door - it's wonderful to have the top half open and a lovely breeze coming in, plus all the extra light. I couldn't stop standing there and looking out!

Keith made me a cup of tea and then I did an hour's cleaning, hoovering the hallway, living room and kitchen floor before tackling the conservatory. I can't wait to get everything moved back and reclaim this room as somewhere just to relax and eat! Having said that, I think Sophie and I will be hanging out on the island a lot!

Dinner tonight was fajitas and we did a good job, cooking the chicken in the slow cooker, and roasting the veg in the oven. Our new oven is working but we were all too scared to use it!

No comments: