Monday 30 August 2021

Dining out!

I'm really not keen on working on a Bank Holiday Monday, but I'm on annual leave for two weeks from next Monday, so I can't really complain. Jo and I were working together, and we didn't know what to expect today. I was hoping it wouldn't be manic!

Luckily, my hopes were met, and although we had a few busy moments first thing, we were able to get a lot of other jobs completed. I did the weekend box office returns, put the rest of the films onto the system, processed a load of cinema invoices, and added the distributors to the spreadsheet to make it easier for Sheila when I am away. I also tackled some customer service emails so the time passed very quickly.

At 4pm I sped home and sorted out the recycling as our bin was full in the kitchen, and also in the garage. I was delighted to learn the other day that Tesco is now taking crisp packets and pet food pouches. Very soon we won't need to go to George in Milton Keynes anymore! 

We had decided to go to Akasaka for a meal tonight, as Mike is off to Southampton tomorrow with Abbie to start his new life, and we thought it would be a lovely send-off for him. We left at 5.30pm and went to The Princess Alexandra first for a drink. I just about managed to get into the car park opposite, taking the last space available. That's one of the problems with the pub - there is no parking otherwise!

We had a couple of drinks and watched a man who was obviously waiting for a date to arrive. I imagined it was his wife, and that he had come out while she finished getting ready, but Mike and Sophie were convinced he'd been stood up! He had already bought her a glass of red wine, and we all watched him like a hawk as various people arrived. Just as we were giving up hope, his very attractive date arrived in a flurry of apologies, and he looked immensely relieved!

Our table at Akasaka was booked for 7.30pm, and we were able to find a parking space almost right outside. The town seemed very quiet, and I think a lot of places close on a Monday evening. The restaurant was busy, and we were seated next to a group of young people who were swapping stories about their gap year. Again, Mike and Sophie listened in! We are so nosy!

The food, as always, was delicious. Sophie and I shared chicken gyoza and tempura battered vegetables, accompanied by a dish of spicy edamame beans that everyone tucked into. For our mains, Sophie and I chose the Katsu chicken curry, Keith had Teriyaki chicken, while Mike went for his favourite, the Ramen soup. I can't quite believe that Mike is leaving tomorrow, and won't be returning in a few weeks like he used to do. I just hope they both find somewhere lovely to live and make a go of it.

On the way home, he was contacted by friends that wanted to see him before he left, so Sophie and I gave him a lift to Brixworth. I knew I would see him in the morning, but I still felt a bit emotional when I said goodbye!

No comments: