Sunday 8 August 2021

A little shopping...

Day 12 of kitchen renovation.

The weather this morning was horrible - where has the summer gone? It rained, was grey and felt chilly. Not what we expect of August at all!

I mooched about all morning not really wanting to do anything, and feeling a bit grey myself. Sophie went to meet Zain in Milton Keynes at lunchtime, and Keith and I had leftovers for lunch. I took a test and went to collect my Mum from the care home at 2pm. By now the weather had improved a little bit and we could see some glimpses of blue sky.

For a change, we went to my favourite place - the Weston Favell Centre... Mum loves it there, though, and I think she was hoping to see some people she knew. We took back a top that she'd bought the last time we went shopping, and she went off to look at the clothes, while I picked out a shirt and a pair of trousers for my Dad's birthday next week. 

I also picked a Finest meal for Keith and me for dinner. We are complete idiots as we spent a fair while preparing dinner tonight of beef casserole, dumplings and veggies before I realised that both Sophie and Mike wouldn't be eating with us! We assumed Mike would be back sometime this evening as he's at work tomorrow (his last week), but he never normally eats with us on a Sunday evening if he's spent the weekend with Abbie.

After choosing a chicken and bacon potato topped pie for dinner, I went in search of a bottle of whisky from Mum. I was bemused to find that the containers for the whisky were all empty! Apparently, you take the box to the checkout and they fetch it to you! That just about sums up the Weston Favell Centre!

After shopping, we went to The Lounge for a cup of coffee. Mum used to love coming here and meeting friends. She enjoyed a latte and ordered a slice of lemon cake which we both shared. It was actually quite pleasant to sit and chat for half an hour, watching the good people of Weston Favell walk past.

Before I dropped her off at the care home we went to see a very new place that had opened in Kettering - Avery Park. It looked beautiful and I said I would contact them to get some details. Sadly, Mum is still unhappy where she is, and after a year of being there, I can't see that changing any time soon.

Sophie had texted me earlier to say she was leaving and she was at home when I arrived. This evening we played Scrabble and she beat me, even though I tried hard to win. She is too good! We didn't have cocktails tonight (too much fuss) so it was a glass of wine and a bottle of Bud!

At about 7pm the back door burst open and Mike and Abbie came in. Mike was astonished to see the progress and then set about trying to dislodge a stone that was set into the floor and had been placed there to stop a pipe from moving. Typical Michael!

Our dinner this evening was not worth mentioning, and after we'd eaten, Keith and I settled down to watch the last episode of Swamp People: Serpent Invasion! We've enjoyed the series and getting to know the characters, especially Bruce, who is hilarious!

No comments: